Can I Tint Mmf With Buttercream Icing?

Baking By tcwheeler Updated 12 Oct 2010 , 2:26am by baycheeks1

tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 10

Trying to think of how to match fondant and icing. I usually mix some colors to get the right shade of hot pink, purple, etc. Can I use some of that buttercream to tint my MMF? Thanks!

9 replies
baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 10

Buttercream to tint fondant? I dont think that would work too well with the butter in the bc...Why dont you just color each to same color...I know it can be difficult tryin to get the same color, but it can be done.

If you dont mind me asking, why are you tryin to match BC and fondant?

tcwheeler Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 10

haha....customer wanted buttercream icing and decorations but fondant bow topper. Yep, thinking I'm not going to be getting too picky on my shades. Will be the colors straight from the bottles. lol Wants cake iced in white with colored stripes and circles decorating the tiers; doesn't want fondant accents. "I" want my BC accents and the fondant bow topper to match. Does that explain? icon_smile.gif Any other ideas?

tcwheeler Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:44pm
post #4 of 10

(noticed you were in Pearland...I'm in east Houston, Crosby. *smile*)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 10

You can do it. It doesn't hurt to get Crisco-based BC into MMF (if someone has a problem covering their cake, and they decide to peel it off to try again, the BC gets kneaded in as long as you don't get crumbs into it).

But you need to consider, if you're using your tinted BC to try to achieve the same color in an entire batch of fondant--it will be a lighter shade simply because of all the white that you're adding it to. Same thing if you were using your tinted BC to try to tint another batch of BC with... you'll still need to add more color since you're diluting it with so much white, so why not start the tinting process the same way that you did to get the original color?

jo3d33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo3d33 Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 10

I would suggest tinting your fondant first then do the buttercream since buttercream is easier to change than fondant. That's all I got! HTH!

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 10

I would not mix the butter cream with the fondant unless its a shortening based butter cream. i don't think that will hurt it. after all my fondant is shortening, powdered sugar, marshmallows, and H2O. just remember when you add the color it will make it lighter. It sounds like you just want it tinted anyway. it may even change the consistency of the fondant and your bow won't stand up.

tcwheeler Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks all...yep, that's what I was afraid of, changing the consistency. Yes, my white BC has no butter. I have colored BC already and was going to try and match my fondant to it. Was figuring that I would just start fresh with it all but thought, "what if I might could save myself some time and not have to make more BC?". Oh well, only one way to really find out...play and practice! icon_smile.gif

momvarden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momvarden Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 10

yes, that is exactly what i would do. good luck let us know how it comes out. i do things that i did not think could be done. to later find out that my way is being done by nick lodge already. but i figured it out on my own. Ha Ha!

baycheeks1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycheeks1 Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 2:26am
post #10 of 10

Yeah I was like this isnt right...my bc is all butter...and I know that doesnt mix... I have never heard anything about mixing BC with fondant, didnt know...Learned something new today...

Yeah I'm in Pearland right downt he road from you...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%