2 Year-Olds And Cake Don't Mix!

Decorating By katiegraves Updated 19 Oct 2010 , 4:36am by Michelle84

katiegraves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiegraves Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 16

My best friend and I spent all of last Sunday decorating a Dora the Explorer cake for her little girl. I left the cake sitting on my kitchen table while I was getting ready for the party the next day. I came into the kitchen and found my son sitting on the kitchen table with fondant in each hand and little nibbles all out of the top tier. icon_surprised.gif I have posted pics of the cake before and after. I had a huge moment of panic, icon_cry.gif called my momma to come help and then we went straight into fixing it! It turned out that I liked the top tier better the second time around. thumbs_up.gif And (fortunately) I had saved all of the leftover buttercream and fondant from the day before. We have all had a huge laugh over it and I figured you would all enjoy it as well! thumbs_up.gif

15 replies
yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 16

I have a 20 mth old that I love to have around when baking! I can get so irritated and he always makes me laugh. When making icing he sits on the counter next me with his spoon in hand waiting for a taste. Then I get this MMMM......like its the best thing he has ever tasted. Today I was making spiders out of modeling chocolate but their dang legs kept breaking so I took a drink break, came back and they magically disappeared! I looked at him and he had a huge black smile. How can you be mad at that?!?! See, you have found someone that truly admires your work and even aided in a better end result!

trippsmom08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trippsmom08 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 16

My two year old son likes to 'fix'' my cakes for me, the only place he won't get them is on the stove, so if I leave one any lower he will poke little holes in it and then tell me 'perfect'! They are so sweet, but I wish they understood the time it takes to decorate these things! icon_smile.gif

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 11:19pm
post #4 of 16

I made some really pretty easter cookies once, they were for putting in my kid's and stepkid's baskets and for the family dinner. They had the glaze with corn syrup in it that has to dry overnight. There were a bout 3 dozen of them on the counter. My 4 year old took one bite out of every single one of them! I made each of them a little different and I'm sure he thought they all tasted different!

katiegraves Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:40am
post #5 of 16

Those are some pretty funny stories! He didn't get in any trouble, he just thought it looked really good. I should have known when he kept eyeing it the night before. Oh, well, I learned my lesson! Finished cakes will be kept on the stovetop until delivery from now on! icon_biggrin.gif

LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:02pm
post #6 of 16

Tell me that you didn't use the same cake and re-cover it.. Your kid's spit got on that cake! You mention extra frosting and fondant but not other baked layers. OMG that is so gross. Cute for you, not so much for the people the cake was intended for.

katiegraves Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 16

No, I did not serve cake that my son bit off of!

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiegraves

No, I did not serve cake that my son bit off of!

That was a pretty nice response to that! icon_cool.gif Glad everything turned out great in the end!

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 4:09pm
post #9 of 16

I served a chocolate cupcake to my 4 year old grandson this weekend. I couldn't believe a little cupcake could cause that big of a mess. He was all grins with brown stuff everywhere. I laughed. Don't think his mother did.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 8:14pm
post #10 of 16

I have a 2 and a 3 year old who love to be helpers. You know you bake too much when your toddlers say at the park that something smells like gumpaste. LOL.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 12 Oct 2010 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygortoncakes

I have a 2 and a 3 year old who love to be helpers. You know you bake too much when your toddlers say at the park that something smells like gumpaste. LOL.

hahahha...lol...ur in SD, too? nice icon_smile.gif

Mine have yet to get to my cakes, but I like to use them as my critics...I finish the cake and reveal it to them, asking if they know what it is... If they answer correctly I know I've made it look realistic!! Sometimes they just answer "cake" ...lol oh well they're only 3...

microbiology1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
microbiology1 Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 1:46am
post #12 of 16

LOL! You're right. I did like the second version better. See, he was just trying to give you constructive criticism! One of my teachers told the story of a panicked phone call she got at 8am one day. A 3 y/o had climbed up on his parents wedding cake and basically done the same thing. She managed to repair it just in time. I guess they keep you on your toes!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 2:56am
post #13 of 16

Your title is so true, Katiegraves! I had to smile because my little one has gotten into a few of my projects. The cake turned out really cute - nice save!

Rachel5370, my daughter did the exact same thing! I was supposed to bring dessert to a brunch with some ladies and their kids and my daughter took a bite out of nearly every single cookie! I didn't have time to re-bake or buy anything, so I went with the few she hadn't touched...only enough for the kids. Luckily, everyone was really nice about (after all, they had little ones, too.)

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 9:08pm
post #14 of 16

The cake in the scroll cake stand on the 2nd page of my pics, I had to do left handed because I broke my wrist, my 2 year old son ate half of the bottom tier, and the cake to the left of the pic with the sattelite cakes underneath, done the same year, I had just gotten done making 100 purple edged roses, ran to the bathroom to come back and find he had eaten all but one. Yes, he lived, he is 15 now, but had to put him in his crib to give mommy a time out!

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 18 Oct 2010 , 9:52pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygortoncakes

ROFL!!!! That's a hoot!

It's my husband I have to watch out for! My five year old so far has only touched one of my cakes and I was so disappointed in him and gave him such a stern speech about it, he hasn't tried it since. For some reason the disappointment worked better than getting really angry or yelling.

My husband on the other hand, thinks that when I ask him to taste test something, he's allowed to go into the fridge with a spoon and keep taste testing. LUCKILY this has never happened with anything that was for other people. YUCK! Why is it men do not have the ability to see bacteria and filth? He just thinks I'm mental when it comes to washing my hands and how I use extreme caution not to contaminate anything when taste testing.

Anyway, when he goes anywhere near my cakes, my son puts him in check! "Daddy! Do NOT touch mommy's cakes!!! LOL!

Michelle84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle84 Posted 19 Oct 2010 , 4:36am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenLuLu

Tell me that you didn't use the same cake and re-cover it.. Your kid's spit got on that cake! You mention extra frosting and fondant but not other baked layers. OMG that is so gross. Cute for you, not so much for the people the cake was intended for.

OMG! Rabies!! icon_surprised.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%