Need Expert On All Crisco Powdered Sugar Frosting

Decorating By buttercreammgt Updated 10 Oct 2010 , 1:49pm by LaurenLuLu

buttercreammgt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreammgt Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 7:51am
post #1 of 2

I started a new job making cakes and after 3 years of using the same buttercream recipe I now get to work with something completely different than I'm used to. before the consistancy was that of IMBC. I loved working with it. Now I use a very heavy sticky buttercream with no butter! I've tried two methods to frost my cakes with and both don't give me the results I want.
1. I smoothed as much as I could and then sprayed with water= droopy corners and sides didn't smooth very well and on delivery frosting was too soft from being wet.
2. smoothed as much as possible and rolled it with cornstarch=much better fondant like finish but corners still drooped a little. This icing is so much heavier than I'm used to and I really need some advise. (Oh and I tried to build up the structure of the cake's corners by putting cake crumb there maybe I should have used more cake?)

One more issue that is bothering me...I frosted the cakes seperately on a cake plate and then stacked when I was finished. I also need help figuring out the best way to stack. The cake plates are the same size as the cake so the frosting has nothing underneath to support it. then I lift the cake up over the bottom and insert plate into precut dowels and press down.

1 reply
LaurenLuLu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenLuLu Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 2

If you are making the frosting yourself, whip the shortening forEVER before adding the rest of your sugar and flavoring. If you're working from a tub of premade, it is easier to smooth if you dip your offset spatula under super hot running water and quickly dry it off with a towel before smoothing. Melts the frosting just enough to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%