3D Cake Structure/food Safety

Decorating By puzzlegut Updated 4 Nov 2010 , 6:29pm by JulieJalapeno

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 7

By Christmas, I would like to make a 3D kangaroo for work. I was thinking of probably making 2 cake mix extenders for a total of four 8" round cakes to carve and use Rice Krispy treats for molding for the rest. I was just wondering what kind of structure system I could use, especially for the arms because I would like the arms to extend.

I've seen a lot of people use PVC pipes for structure. What is the best way to create a structure like that? Also, when using PVC pipes and wood boards, how can you ensure food safety?

6 replies
puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 7

My main concern is how will the cake be sanitary using pvc pipes? Is there something that should be wrapped around the pipes before the cake is applied or will just washing the pipes work?

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 7

I haven't personally done research on this, but I've read a couple of threads. Some people say that PVC IS food safe because the pipes are made for water usage, and we drink the water (think about the some of the plumbing in your house). Others say it's not food safe because it's made from plastics and chemicals.

I doubt that the exposure of any "harmful" chemicals or anything (if they are in the PVC) would create any issues, because it's on a very limited basis. But to be extra safe, I would wash them thoroughly and then wrap them in food safe plastic, like cling wrap.

Just a suggestion! icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 7

As the guy at Home Depot said, "considering that the pipes that carry the drinking water into your house are PVC, they're fine for food."

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 14 Oct 2010 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 7

Just make sure you are using the PVC water pipes and not the gray PVC for waste, and you will be fine!

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 21 Oct 2010 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 7

I guess I feel a little bit better about the PVC pipes. Now I just need to figure out the construction. I'll probably end up doing 2-3 cake mix extenders for the cake and use RKT for the rest. Do you think I should torte the cakes and fill them with a thin layer of filling while I'm building the cake or would it be better to leave the layers whole? Also, since I'll be using a PVC pipe for the main structure, would it be a good idea to have a cake board and bubble tea straws inbetween each of the 2 layers?

JulieJalapeno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieJalapeno Posted 4 Nov 2010 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 7

I would also say get the regular water pipes; but I'm going to school for water/wastewater and I believe the only difference in the sewer ones is the color- so cities can color code the pipes for identification- purple is for reclaimed water

Quote by @%username% on %date%