Can I Use Reguler Sized Marshmellows For Mmf?

Baking By MandyCakez Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 7:05pm by jimmers

MandyCakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyCakez Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 7

I have my biggest cake week this weekend an my lovely tapedshut.gif husband was nice even to make a store run for me an brought me back regular marshmallows rather than the mini's i always use.Has anyone used these instead in the past?Do i add fewer to the mixture?

Thanks ladies! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
mommakabob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakabob Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 7

I have before and it was fine, as long as you use the same number of oz.

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 7

Yes, I do all the time if it happens to be cheaper that day. Use the same amount by weight. I tear them into two to three pieces to help with even melting without having to microwave them to death. Makes no difference at all.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm
post #4 of 7

I always use regular (cheaper). I do rip them in half but I don't know if it's necessary or not. I also estimate what 11 oz. would be.

sxrivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sxrivera Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 7

This is what I use all the time. I take a large microwaveable container and grease it with shortening to prevent sticking (also the mixing spoon) add the large marshmallows (no cutting required) microwave first for 30 secs, take out and stir; then microwave for another 30 seconds (usually melted. If not do short microwave burst till melted. Please remember that each microwave has different wattage to adjust accordingly (my microwave is 1100 watts). P.S. before adding the powdered sugar, add the coloring. This will make simplify your life and color will be uniform. I put my melted marshmallows in a heavy duty stand mixer (e.g. kitchenaide - mine is a Hamilton Beach Electric), add food coloring, and use the dough hook to mix in the powdered sugar. Once all sugar is mixed and mixture becomes a ball that will start to make your mixer shake, rattle and roll, I take out mixture and manually knead till totally combined. I greased my hands first. Hope this helps. P.S. Marshmallows bags are usually 15 ozs, so 11 oz. is about 3/4 of a bag. There is a recipe right here on CC. It's the one I use. My latest cake "Enchanted Tree" was made with MMF, made in this way. Good luck.

MandyCakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyCakez Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much ladies!I feel so much better now!! icon_smile.gif

jimmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimmers Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 7

Sorry to jump in on the post but thanks sxrivera, great response, I know all I've been wanting to ask for a while!! Cheers to the op too for asking, good luck thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%