Wedding Expo Advice Please

Business By cakertainment Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 9:06pm by cakertainment

cakertainment Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakertainment Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 6

I am a vendor at a wedding expo in November and I am trying to plan on how todo things. I know I need at least 1000 samples, photos, dummy cakes, etc.....but does anyone have any advice to share on what else to do for the expo if you have ever been a part of one? What can I expect from being a vendor? Thanks for any and all advice icon_smile.gif

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 6

I do around 8 wedding shows a year. 1000 samples? DAMN! How many brides are expected? I bring all my samples in lidded cups. Keeps everything sanitary, cake doesn't dry out and most importantly, I dont' stop talking to cut cake. AND if the brides all full (and they will be from all the catering tables) they can throw my sample in their bag for later.

The one thing you have to understand about shows is that you're not there to book brides. You're there to build relationships with other vendors. Give samples to THEM. Trade biz cards. Set up a time to visit their shop and take more samples. That's where your future biz comes from. Any brides who show interest in your product are just "gravy" to the whole show experience.

kaseynh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseynh Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I do around 8 wedding shows a year. 1000 samples? DAMN! How many brides are expected? I bring all my samples in lidded cups. Keeps everything sanitary, cake doesn't dry out and most importantly, I dont' stop talking to cut cake. AND if the brides all full (and they will be from all the catering tables) they can throw my sample in their bag for later.

The one thing you have to understand about shows is that you're not there to book brides. You're there to build relationships with other vendors. Give samples to THEM. Trade biz cards. Set up a time to visit their shop and take more samples. That's where your future biz comes from. Any brides who show interest in your product are just "gravy" to the whole show experience.

Thank you for the great advice leah_s! I am doing my first wedding show in a couple of weeks and your advice was very timely for me as I was just sitting here thinking about how I would give out samples!

calivettie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calivettie Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:45am
post #4 of 6

Wow. Thanks for the advice, I will be doing my first show in a couple months!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 6

I agree, when we go to the big show here in January, its like home coming week...we have a blast talking to the other venders (even other bakeries) and meeting new ones. They even have a party a week after the show with really good food, to do more mixing. (and win prizes!)

Although you won't book brides AT the show, do you have a sign up sheet for them to book an appointment with you, even if you will be provided one later. This gives you a heads up! We actually make two layer cakes so people can try the fillings and cut them and place on plates. People like the presentation of a pretty plate of cake, (they are TINY pieces...two bitters) but I have helpers who just cut cake while I can talk to people. it also makes them wait a little for a piece sometimes, instead of just grabing a freebie and moving on. They also like to eat the cake while standing there and looking at photos (we put out a special table just for photos) I book a LOT of weddings from these shows...(again not AT the show, but at the follow up meetings) btw, I have found door prizes, money off on cake and free grooms cakes and things just aren't worth it. People will use because you have a good product!!!! Also, do you dummies of cakes you think brides will ORDER and a couple of fun ones that show your style. and do put out prices Brides love that, and always tell me they wish everyone did that. Also, offer some kind of brochue. It doesnt have to be fancy !

cakertainment Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakertainment Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the advice!! I will take all these ideas and run with it. I appreciate all the ideas and thanks again!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%