So I Stopped By A Local Bakery This Morning.....

Decorating By etr2002 Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 3:21am by cheatize

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 9

and I was flabbergasted at "their" portfolio! Their portfolio consisted primarily of magazine cut-outs and pictures printed from the internet. I casually asked if the pics in the scrapbook albums were theirs and he said that most were not but that they could do equally stunning work. I saw some of their work and I was stunned alright! If I were out there making beautiful cakes, you better believe I would have my name on that picture somewhere for folks just like this! I have learned so much from this forum, so my eyes knew what to look for and boy did I get an eye full! Their cakes - mostly buttercream - were horrible and even the piped stars were smushed and had fingerprints in them! The copyright police would have an all day job on their hands too between Disney and Wilton character pans. I left with my head swimming and wondered how long they were going to stay in business (they have just recently opened).

8 replies
theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:12am
post #2 of 9

I can't understand why any bakery would even want to do that to themselves! Have a portfolio of things that they have never made, and are no doubt stunning, to only have a customer select one and then potentially be devastated if they possibly turn out horrendous. Isn't the whole idea of a portfolio to say this is what I have done & are capable of. Customer's have magazines & internet to find random pictures to say "can you attempt to do this"? I for one would never ever find a gorgeous pictures and put them on my facebook page for the obvious moral reasons as well as the fact that there is no way I would be at that skill level. People are crazy!!! thumbsdown.gif

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:18am
post #3 of 9

All I have to say is....wow....what scumbags! Find any place you can review them (yellow pages, citysearch, google places, etc) and post that info. They deserve it.

goodiegoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodiegoddess Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:23am
post #4 of 9

I came across this one day but it was on their website. I knew the pics were not theirs because some were from CC icon_eek.gif . So I emailed the people who's pics they were and told them about the copy.

I feel it is very misleading to customers because most people who assume that they made the cakes.

hbarberycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbarberycakes Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 12:53am
post #5 of 9

I recently became friends on facebook with a lady I met at a cake club meeting and noticed ALL of her cakes were pictures from the display table at the meeting. I couldn't believe it. And of course there were all these comments on how beautiful they were and all I could think was "yeah they are and she sure as hell didn't do them". And not once did she mention she didn't do them. She would say "yeah this one's my favorite" or "that one took a long time" THE NERVE!!! I never will understand the need to claim someone else's work. I can't wait for the day when someone asks them to do the picture and they can't come close to doing it.

etr2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
etr2002 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:56am
post #6 of 9

The bakery primarily uses buttercream and in the dummy cakes, there were fingerprints all over the hardened icing and I noticed the same thing in the few pics of cakes they had made. Also, the cake boards were covered with aluminum foil. I was just amazed. The owner was nice and kept stating that their cakes were custom creations and I had to wonder if he really new what that term meant since the majority of the pics weren't cakes they had made!

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:10am
post #7 of 9

All I can say is wow! They won't be in business very long. I hope somebodys wedding does not get ruined by them. icon_sad.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 2:10am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlynameleft

I can't understand why any bakery would... Have a portfolio of things that they have never made, and are no doubt stunning, to only have a customer select one and then potentially be devastated if they possibly turn out horrendous.

Can you say CakeWrecks??? icon_razz.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 3:21am
post #9 of 9

At least it's obvious the cake aren't theirs if they are magazine cut outs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%