Quick...tylose And Fondant ??

Decorating By snazzygem Updated 6 Oct 2010 , 1:23am by snazzygem

snazzygem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzygem Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:17am
post #1 of 7

I am finishing up a cake for tomorrow and forgot to make my bow ahead of time!! Can I mix in some tylose with fondant to make the fondant harden faster? If I can do this, what ratio of tylose to fondant should I use?

Thanks so much!!
Kate icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Holly123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holly123 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:29am
post #2 of 7

It should help. I use tylose with gum paste and it dries within hours. I just dump some in. I don't know what your ratio should be.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:51am
post #3 of 7

Yes you can!! You should be able to tell, it will firmer. Don't make it to firm or the "ribbon" will tear or break before you get it set the way you want it. Good Luck!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:57am
post #4 of 7

I don't measure either but, I'd estimate I use about a teaspoon of tylose per pound of fondant. The best way to incorporate it is to sprinkle it onto your work surface and knead the fondant on it.

The fondant won't feel stiff right away, but it will dry much firmer than regular fondant.

Sweetwise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetwise Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 7

You've probably finished the bow already by now, but I like to use a little more - a Tbsp for a pound. ROLL IT THIN; will dry faster for you and will tend to crack less. If you shape your bow around tissue to dry, you can even travel with it still in there, then remove it once you are there and put the bow on. Good luck!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 7

I use a tsp of Tylose to 10 oz. of fondant to turn it into gumpaste.

snazzygem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzygem Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 1:23am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all your help!!! I ended up skipping the bow, but now I know for next time that I can use the tylose powder in a pinch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%