Anyway To Avoid Cake Sweating?

Decorating By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 17 Oct 2010 , 1:16am by ladyonzlake

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 18

I've just started using perishable fillings (fruit, pudding, etc) so the cake obviously has to be refrigerated once it's filled. But then there's the inevitable (sp?) sweating! This may sound like a dumb question, but there is no way around that, is there?

I've noticed that there's a lot less condensation when it's cooler in my house, but I don't have air conditioning, so I can't always keep the house cool. How long does it 'normally' take for the condensation to evaporate?

17 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 8:08am
post #2 of 18

I have heard that it helps if you place your cake in a cake box. I also read somewhere that they boxed the cake and placed it in a plastic bag. I don't have problems with sweating her I don't live in a humid area.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 18

Thanks sweettreat! Do I box it / put it in a plastic bag before I put it in the fridge? Or after I take it out?

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 18

In my shop, I have two home-style fridges that I try to keep finished cakes in. A lot of times tho I have too many and need to utilize my walk-in fridge space - which is condensation hell!! I box the cakes up and put it in a 55gallon garbage bag and tape it shut tight at the top. Works like a charm. You will always have some condensation because of the temperature shift, but this should help.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 18

Awesome, I'm going to give it a try!! I see Cake Boss put his cakes in the fridge all the time - is there some sort of special fridge that doesn't make a cake sweat? Like maybe a dry fridge or something? haha, that sounds kind of weird, but hopefully you get my point! icon_smile.gif

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 18

It has nothing to do with the fridge. It has to do with the condensation in the air OUTSIDE of the fridge collecting on your cool cake. Put in cardboard box to prevent the air from hitting your cake.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 18

Gotcha. But the cake will eventually hit the air, so it's just delaying the inevitable sweating, right?

KimmyKakes4Me Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 18

Not once it isn't at or near room temperature. COLD cake attracts the warmer humid air.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:15pm
post #9 of 18

Oh I see. So just leave it in the box until it comes to room temp. That makes sense. And even though there's perishable filling, it should be fine at room temp for a few hours. The cake should be served at room temp anyway... (just talking out loud!)

Thanks for your help!!

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 18

The warmer your cake is the less condensation would form on it so if allow it to get closer to room temp in the bag/box sweating should be minimal.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:34pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyKakes4Me

It has nothing to do with the fridge. It has to do with the condensation in the air OUTSIDE of the fridge collecting on your cool cake. Put in cardboard box to prevent the air from hitting your cake.

I got to say that yes, the temperature inside the fridge will affect sweating. A fridge that is too cold will make a cake sweat. For it not to sweat would need to be a difference of 10 degrees between the inside of the fridge and the outside temperature.

The box, covered in plastic should help with this. But if the refirgerator is too cold still you might get some sweating, but not as much.
Edna

KimmyKakes4Me Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:38pm
post #12 of 18

So since that would never be the case Edna, basically what I said is pretty much true.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:48pm
post #13 of 18

I see what you're saying Edna. My fridge is actually REALLY cold!! The setting for the temperature got stuck! It's so cold that an almost empty gallon of milk will freeze. I'm in the process of getting a cake fridge, for my cakes only, and it will be normal temp icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 8:04pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyKakes4Me

So since that would never be the case Edna, basically what I said is pretty much true.

Yes, basically! Even if you leave a Milk gallon that came from the fridge outside, it will sweat. Specially if its humid and hot. You can see a bigger change once cold weather arrives.
Edna

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:14pm
post #15 of 18

Also, as in my case, commercial refrigerators have a different kind of compressor or something and melting will happen INSIDE the fridge regardless of temperature (for fondant type stuff). The home style fridges don't do this. I have talked with my repair guys and they say it's just the way it is.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 9:18pm
post #16 of 18

Try to give your cake a massage, and some encouraging words. It's a big day for it but with a little help it won't be nervous at all and will stop it from sweating.

icon_biggrin.gif

SandyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandyS Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 5:27am
post #17 of 18

Edna,
I know you have to deal with the humidity factor in FL so I was wondering what brand of fondant do you use? Also, I am sure you must have to put some of your fondant covered cakes in the cooler so how do you deal with the condensation or does your fondant not have that problem?
Thanks!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 17 Oct 2010 , 1:16am
post #18 of 18

I am having issues too with sweating fondant. I've had 3 cakes this summer with either piping or stencil work on it (red and black) that have run down the sides of my cakes when I took them out of the frig. The stencils blurr and run, my piped dots start running.
I had one today...it's 46 degrees outside, 72 inside and I had my cake in a box in my frig. (it's commercial so it's high in humidity). I brought it out to warm up before delivery (I did peak at it and closed it back up) and when I opened it up 2 hours later for delivery...my black icing was running...talk about freaking out! Does anyone have a solution to this? Was it because I peaked?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%