Painting On Gumpaste Question...

Decorating By snazzygem Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 1:25am by BlakesCakes

snazzygem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzygem Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 12:44am
post #1 of 4

I am going to paint zebra stripes on a gumpaste shoe. Should I let the gumpaste completely dry before painting or can I paint when it's somewhat dry?

Also, should I dilute the black gel color with vodka or just use as is?

Thanks!!
Kate icon_smile.gif

3 replies
DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 12:57am
post #2 of 4

Hi:
Your gumpaste does not have to be completely dry in order to paint on it. But you do have to mix the gel color with vodka before you paint, otherwise the color will not dry and will rub off (I learned that the hard way LOL).

Dina

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:14am
post #3 of 4

Dina is definitely correct that you must use vodka so your stripes dry. I did this on my shoe and it turned out perfectly. You can check out the pic if you'd like in my gallery. I don't dilute the gel though what I usually do is get a small container and pour a little vodka in it and then put one little glob of gel in the gel container lid. I will then dip my paintbrush in the vodka and then dab the gel. The color stays bright doing it this way. I have found that by mixing the gel and vodka together you have to work quickly because it drys fast and it sometimes dilutes the color. Just play around with it on some test pieces before you do it on your shoe. Good luck!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 1:25am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany0481

I don't dilute the gel though what I usually do is get a small container and pour a little vodka in it and then put one little glob of gel in the gel container lid. I will then dip my paintbrush in the vodka and then dab the gel. The color stays bright doing it this way.

Love this idea and can't wait to try it!

Thanks,
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%