Loving The Mat!

Decorating By TabbieCakes Updated 25 Nov 2010 , 3:59pm by cakegirl1973

Smokey5266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smokey5266 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:04am
post #31 of 112

I just ordered mine today! I can't wait to get it!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 1:54am
post #32 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

So Blakescakes one more question I have......if a little kid lays his sandwich on the vinyl tablecloth then eatws it is he getting lead poisoning?

Of course not..............sheesh....not unless it's a really greasy sandwich and he leaves it in there for a couple of lifetimes.....

And nobody's going to die if you roll your fondant on WalMart vinyl.....
Or if they eat fondant dusted with non-FDA approved luster dust.....
Or a fondant star dusted with disco dust..............

The point I've tried to make--more than once, too-- is that IF a food safe alternative is available, then the prudent/thoughtful/concerned/considerate decorator USES the food safe alternative.

It is also a CYOA (cover your own a$$) precaution should the question ever be asked by an upset client or in a legal proceeding.

People just don't take kindly to someone knowing better but then choosing NOT to do better.

Rae

cakemama02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama02 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 1:58am
post #33 of 112

I just received THE MAT today and can't wait to try it out! I always have problems moving the fondant after I roll it out, so I am really excited to see how well this works for me icon_smile.gif

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:29am
post #34 of 112

In your video did you mention that you will be making a mat with measurement guides on it? If so should be wait ?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 3:33am
post #35 of 112

If you have the wilton mat(I know its not good haha) you could put that under your mat long enough to get an idea where you need to roll out...just food for thought.

ok well I just don't want kids to get sick from a table cloth........thanks for all the info...what exactly is this mat made of?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 4:02am
post #36 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwise

@madgeowens: Thanks for all of your comments. We are happy when the opportunity comes up to clear up any misconceptions. Sweet Wise is not a bakery; its a supply store and school. THE MAT is manufactured according to Sweet Wise specifications through a manufacturer in Washington State. Its made with love 5,000 pounds at a time so that we know that not only are the ingredients used compliant with Title 21 Sections 174-182 of the code of Federal Regulations from the FDA Dept of Health and Human Services, but also that the equipment that is it manufactured on is also compliant - not manufactured right after a heavy metal or toxic product manufacture.

What makes THE MAT food safe as compared to craft store vinyl is that ours is absent of phthalates and heavy metals (like lead and mercury) as well as petroleum products (used in the manufacturing process). We added a super double polish to the surface that makes it work really great with the texture of the fondant, as well as ordering just the right gauge so it is perfectly pliable for this use. Also, because is manufactured in the USA, youll find its a higher quality than what you find at a craft store.

Dont worry; were not here to beat anyone up about what they use. Our job is simply to give you the information about the food safe qualities of THE MAT so that you know that there is a food safe option available. We are committed to offering a very low cost food safe alternative, and will rely more on the great feedback from all of you than anything else.

Thanks for "Loving THE MAT"!

PAGE 3, FIRST POST

brandiwyne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiwyne Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 5:42am
post #37 of 112

I have this mat and it works wonderful. I shop at Sweet wise every week as i am only 5 min away from the store. The owner along with all the other workers are "THE BEST".

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 5:50am
post #38 of 112

DANG! I'm buying one of these cool puppies right this minute!

Madge and Sweetwise, thanks for all the back-and-forthing, got all my questions answered. Rae, I'm just starting out, hobby baker, will never be licensed, but I like the way you put it "...IF food safe alternative available, ....use it".

Sweetwise, I'm one of those "disabled" types that poop-out and have to rest in between heavy tasks like rolling out fondant (have COPD). I like that I can rest for 10-15 minutes and get my wind back without having to cover everything. And I LOVE that I'll be able to roll it out thinner for better mouth feel/taste--the $$ savings is a bonus.

I use FondX and Sweet Inspirations and the new Elite from Cal Java. I have a bakery supply wholesaler nearby, it's good quality, not horribly expensive, and I simply don't have the lung power or strength to make my own MMF. How does this work with rolled chocolate? (Which I haven't even made or tried yet, by the way...)

Yippee! Thanks OP and everyone else.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:03am
post #39 of 112

Hey, Madge! I have found something that really helps when I have to rest, especially when dipping fresh fruit into chocolate. While I'm wheezing and resting several of the pieces of dipped fruit kinda defy gravity and fall into my mouth. I tend to make a remarkable recovery after that.

Of course, the 18" aluminum monster rolling pin helps too. (When I got the package, I thought it was a golf club the box was so huge...)

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 7:37am
post #40 of 112

I was going to order the mat today until the total came to almost 28.00. Think I will have to give it a few more days of thought.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 12:23pm
post #41 of 112

Cant wait for the hubby to get home and give me his credit card muaahahahaha!

TabbieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabbieCakes Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 1:05pm
post #42 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumbcake

In your video did you mention that you will be making a mat with measurement guides on it? If so should be wait ?

The Mat is about 30"x30" and it is completely crystal clear. Knowing the measurement of The Mat really helped me when rolling out my fondant; e.g. I needed a piece that was about 15" across so I knew I was there when I had around 7" of clear mat on either side of my fondant.

Also I keep a ruler and mini tape measure in my caking tool box. Since The Mat is covering the fondant, there's no issue about laying measuring tools on top to see where you are.

Though a deluxe mat would be cool, I really didn't feel like it was a missing component.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 5:30pm
post #43 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

ok I just looked at the video and it sure looks like the vinyl I get at walmart by the yard.............works just the same

I also got a heavy plastic/vinyl (by the yard) from Joannes and it words pretty good to roll fondant.

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:00pm
post #44 of 112

The mat really works well. I got mine last week and made two birthday cakes (1st two pix in my photos) last weekend. It is only the 2nd time I have used fondant...and the mat really assisted me well. ( I had used Vinyl from JoAnnes for the 1st fondant I used). I found that the new foodsafe mat is much easier for a fondant newbie to use. (More flexible, less sticking)...just my humble opinion...

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 6:04pm
post #45 of 112

Thank you Sweetwise, and yes it's good to know we have other alternatives.

coldtropics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coldtropics Posted 6 Oct 2010 , 8:12pm
post #46 of 112

Received my MAT today... ordered on Monday afternoon, fast shipping. Havent had a chance to use it yet, no fondant due in the next couple days. Looks like a great product.

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:17pm
post #47 of 112

I guess I'll have to try it out with all the great reviews! icon_biggrin.gif

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:48pm
post #48 of 112

I ordered my mat on Monday, received in yesterday, and used it today! I'm so impressed with the fast shipping.

When I used it, my fondant didn't fall off nicely, like in the video. Did I wipe off too much Crisco when I seasoned it? Should it feel a bit greasy? Is there an additional video which shows seasoning? I not, maybe you could do one.

I loved that I could roll out the fondant and leave it for a bit. And I think the price is very reasonable.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 8:58pm
post #49 of 112

Ohhh - I didn't think you were supposed to "season it" or use shortening or anything on it. I have not used mine yet as I don't have a cake but I have one next week.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 1:40am
post #50 of 112

Oh cripes, wish I had heard about The Mat before! I have the large blue ateco mat, which I loved. But thought was thrown out, and then purchased another one, at 30 dollars plus shipping, only to find the first one! Now I have two blue mats, and am now desperately wanting The Mat. I think it would have to be over my hubbies dead body after the blue mat snafu! Oi!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:53am
post #51 of 112

To any Aussie CCers interested...the mat costs a total of $50 to be posted to Australia. I'd like one, but I need to save up a bit!

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 2:31pm
post #52 of 112

Sounds like a Christmas present for me.

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 2:35pm
post #53 of 112

Sounds like a Christmas present for me.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 3:09pm
post #54 of 112

I don't do fondant cakes but this thing looks great for cookie dough since I use wax paper or parchment for my cookies. I could put the whole wad of dough in there. . .had anyone used this for cookie dough? Kathy what do you think?

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 3:34pm
post #55 of 112

I haven't read all of the posts, so I apologize if I repeat what anyone else has said.

PLEASE don't use vinyl or other plastic sheeting that is not approved for food use to roll out your fondant! The problem with these materials is that they contain polymer free-radicals.... the crafty little polymer molecules that managed to avoid connecting with other molecules during the chemical reaction process that produced the vinyl or plastic. The "bad" thing about polymer free-radicals is that they are organic compounds and react very well with the organic molecules in our bodies! Many of them (in higher concentrations) have been identified as carcinogens or are materials to which people develop severe (i.e. lifethreatening) allergies at some level of exposure. A simple example of un-reacted polymer molecules that we can all relate to is the "new car" smell that is due to the unreacted chemicals in the plastics in our cars. The haze that forms on the inside of the windshield in a new car is the same thing. These chemicals are also present in vinyl sheeting. thumbsdown.gif

Silicone is inert.... ie no free-radicals to react with our bodies. Some plastics are okay'd for food use... i.e. soda bottles, water bottles, baby bottles, plastic storage containers, etc. Vinyl is absolutely NOT safe for food-related uses. Plastic tablecloths are NOT vinyl.

I'm a chemical engineer with 35+ years of experience in polymer and pharmaceutical operations. I don't want to offend anyone - just inform.

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 3:45pm
post #56 of 112

I ordered mine a few days ago can't wait to get it

Connie1027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Connie1027 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 4:28pm
post #57 of 112

I just saw this post, checked out the Sweetwise website, watched the video, and placed my order!!! Can't wait to get it and try it out.

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 5:51pm
post #58 of 112

yahhhh mine just came perfect timing I have 2 more cakes to go

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 8 Oct 2010 , 8:49pm
post #59 of 112

Just one more clarifying comment on the safety of using vinyl for rolling fondant: My comments related ONLY to vinyl sheeting that is not food grade and not approved by FDA. They DO NOT apply to the Sweet Wise mat - which is approved for food use. Hopefully the affordability of the Sweet Wise mat will encourage people to use it rather than cheap, non-food-grade vinyl sold in fabric stores. I have an Altec mat that I really like, but I'm going to order the Sweet Wise Mat set because I really like the idea of not having to use powdered sugar or corn starch on my fondant!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 1:28am
post #60 of 112

I just received my mat and thought I would try it out today. I don't know what I am doing wrong but I seasoned the mat with shortening like she said. When I roll out my fondant the fondant has what looks like pock marks. I tried it three more times and gave up. Went back to the old fashioned method of rolling fondant. Can anyone tell me why this is happening? I used MMF.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%