Make Purple Icing Without Tasting Like Paste/food Coloring??

Decorating By apetricek Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 4:36pm by Darthburn

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 3

I have to make a Tiana (princess and th frog) cake. I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with making purple buttercream and have it actually not taste like food coloring? What is the trick...the last time I made purple it had a bitter taste. I would usually suggest fondant, and airbrush it, but they want buttercream...PLEASE ANY HELP!!!! I have to ice this cake in a few hours...so any help now would be great...just though maybe someone has an idea/suggestion...thanks for your helP!!!!

2 replies
hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 5:55am
post #2 of 3

You can airbrush buttercream. icon_smile.gif

But what kind of food colorings are you using? I've never had an issue with a bitter taste (I mostly use Americolor gels) but I've heard that the darker Wilton colors can have that problem.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 3

I know it's to late now, but Saturday I made some purple buttercream pretty easy with Wilton Royal Blue and Wilton Rose colors. It came out a decent purple and tasted just fine. I did royal blue first then added rose... if you wanted a more vibrant purple I would add rose first (I heard Americolor calls theirs 'electric pink') and then add royal blue until the desired tint is achieved.

I'm excited cause today I am ordering my first set of Americolor gels and airbrush colors ever!! Woooooooooo! icon_smile.gif

Again, sorry I didn't see this until today... but I hope it helps your future projects.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%