Cake Pops Problems

Baking By Writecakes Updated 7 Oct 2010 , 3:40pm by nancyg

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 13

I tried these for the first time tonight. I couldn't get that smooth chocolate look on most of them. I'm using wilton candy melts and was trying to make cake pops that look like apples. I needed a smooth finish, but mine isn't as smooth as I'd like. What can I do to make the chocolate "runnier" but still get a smooth, hard surface? Any advice would be really appreciated, these are for a charity event tomorrow afternoon and I'd like them to look nice.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

12 replies
mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 13

You have to keep the chocolate warmer side so it stays runny. Is there anyway you can work from a double boiler or keep the warm chocolate over hot water or on a heating source (i.e., heating pad) while you work? Try working in a warm room as well. As soon as the candy melts/chocolate start to cool, you'll get lumps. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but once you do, they are easy as pie! HTH!

Writecakes Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks, I am using the Wilton Chocolate Pots and have never had issues doing chocolate molds. But for some reason, I just couldn't get that smooth look. I'll try again and hopefully I can figure it out.

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 13

I had the same problem then I decided to double dip them. It smoothed them out a lot. Also when I formed them I use a small scoop to measure for uniformity then roll by hand to tighten the "crumbs" up. And I put them in the freezer for a while.

Krysten3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krysten3 Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 13

In addition to keeping the chocolate warm, you can add shortening to it and it will thin it for you. I always add a tbsp at a time until it's the consistency I want. HTH.

Writecakes Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 13

Thank you all so much. I will try all of your suggestions and hopefully I can get this right icon_smile.gif

Writecakes Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 13

Does anyone know if adding shortening to the chocolate changes the consistency and the taste? Or does it simply make it runnier for better dipping? Thanks

lab2965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lab2965 Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:07am
post #8 of 13

I just wanted to let you know that I added too much shortening and YES, it changes the texture. You can't tell that there is any difference while you're making them, but once you've gotten them all done and they sit in room temperature for a bit, you feel like you are biting into shortening!! I did it and it was so gross!! I threw them out because it made me feel sickicon_sad.gif And I was so disappointed because they were coming out so beautiful, too. Now, I just add a little hi-ratio shortening at a time. Maybe I should switch to Crisco for the chocolate....I think the hi-ratio has too much fat in it....anyway, just thought I'd share that with you.

tcwheeler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcwheeler Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:36am
post #9 of 13

Wilton Chocolate Melts are already tempered so you don't need to add shortening.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:48am
post #10 of 13

The last three times I've used the Wilton Chocolate Melts, I've had to add shortening to thin it.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:05am
post #11 of 13

Don't use shortening or oil...Use paramount crystals. They are flakes of coconut oil melt very quickly when stirring into warm chocolate. Don't over do. They don't alter the taste but will thin the chocolate. But, too much and they don't harden really well.

I use them all the time in chocolate and candy melts. Only got too much the first time then I learned to add small amount slowly. As soon as you get a smooth consistency stop...

You get them at candy and cake supply stores. Very reasonable.

Use a little at a time till you get you consistency

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 4:29am
post #12 of 13

I find the Wilton red melts don't melt as nice as the other colors, if that is what you are using.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 7 Oct 2010 , 3:40pm
post #13 of 13

I agree with Tracyjade. candy melts dont melt as well. I am pretty sure they have less cocoa butter than real chocolate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%