gingerbreadtogo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerbreadtogo Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 5:47pm
post #32 of 41

I use 1/4" plexiglass strips.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 5:53pm
post #33 of 41

imaginethatnj - perfect link!!!

double cut edge - i haven't had too many problems with it...but it seems you gotta cut right when they come out of the oven for a cleaner cut. i originally thought that they would dry out faster...but they seem okay, even when using royal and having them set out for a period. when you double cut, then flip to ice the bottoms, you don't really see the sides...what i mainly notice is the design on the cookie. next time you make cookies, just double cut a tray for yourself. decorate them...and see what you think. you may or may not like it. it's really a preference. icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 6:47pm
post #35 of 41

I used parchment yesterday and it reduced the unevenness but didn't eliminate it completely.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 6:47pm
post #36 of 41

what is a good sugar cookie recipe, anyone care to share, a lot that i`ve seen calls for 4 to 5 teasp of baking powder yet i hear that u should`t use that much

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 7:01pm
post #37 of 41

That DoBoard looks fantastic. I have to get that. It looks like it is foolproof. icon_smile.gif

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 10:51am
post #38 of 41

I ice on the bottoms of my cookies - completely flat surface. Also...I think several CC'ers have mentioned the "double cut". This is especially helpful for me....because I use a traditional sugar cookie recipe. It raises and puffs up/out pretty good. So, when the tray comes out of the oven, I do a quick re-cut with the cutter I used & I have a nice crisp & clean cookie. Makes a big difference!

Quote:
Quote:

Whar do you mean by "double cut"? I'm sorry i have never made cookies and saw this the other day, but never thought i'd need to know-- then this afternoon- i decided i was going to try and make some cookies this week and remembered i saw some tips in here...
anyway if anyone could help me with this id really appreciate it!
TIA

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 12:26am
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamanorm

For years I have used dowels for uniform thickness. I recently bought a rolling pin made by Joseph Joseph that has interchangeable discs on the ends. There are three different sizes and the discs screw into the ends. Since the discs are made of a hard material, they don't "give" like those rubber bands that slide onto the rolling pin. I love it! I also cut parchment paper a little larger than my cookie cutter and roll out each cookie individually onto it's own piece, then transfer it to my cookie sheet to bake.

If anyone is interested in the rolling pin mentioned above, I found it here: http://www.zappos.com/joseph-joseph-adjustable-rolling-pin-natural?channel=126&mr:referralID=NA&mr:trackingCode=8F39D139-9EB6-DF11-904F-002219319097

20 bucks...FREE shipping & you have 1 year to return it if you're not 100% satisfied...and shipping it back is free also!

I just ordered one!

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 13 Oct 2010 , 6:04am
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriej

That DoBoard looks fantastic. I have to get that. It looks like it is foolproof. icon_smile.gif

Yep. It is fantastic! Wouldn't trade mine for anything. (I am rolling-challenged enough that even the dowels didn't work for me.)

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 15 Oct 2010 , 1:13am
post #41 of 41

I also use wooden slats that were purchased at Lowe's. I think now I'm working with a 3/8" slat - bought 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" to try originally.

I roll my dough when it is still warm (right out of the mixer) between two sheets of waxed paper and chill in sheets. When it is time to cut, I peel back one sheet then gently replace it and flip the dough over. Peel back the other side and cut right away (on the waxed paper) while the dough is still firm/chilled. No need for additional flour at all ( not even on the cutter most of the time) and chilled cookies hold their shape so nicely. I like a little spread on most of my shapes (I like the legs on the dogs a little thicker, etc. and my work is a little more whimsical, I guess), but if I want them to really hold shape I stick them in the freezer for a few minutes until they are really firm. FWIW, I use the NFSC w/ 6 C flour and 1T baking powder.

Baking on parchment and using baking sheets with no sides (flat) helps the air circulate evenly and helps eliminate the uneven cooking. If you find it is one side of your oven (or front/back), you could rotate your sheets 1/2 way through cooking.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%