Just Got A Earfull Of "whoa! How Much?!"

Decorating By Swede-cakes Updated 4 Oct 2010 , 7:22am by allaboutcakeuk

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 3:55pm
post #31 of 40

[quote="Texas_Rose" Me: "Gosh, that's a great price! You'd better run over there and get it before they realize how much they're losing on it!".[/quote]

Too funny!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 3:57pm
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylibra

I love the debates about walmart or whatever v/s custom made. I made the heavenly pumpkin spice cake by aztomcat this past weekend and brought it in to work.. it was amazing, if I say so myself.. awesome recipe. Someone else had attended a wedding on Sunday night and brought back quite a few cupcakes that were leftover from that wedding.. purchased at the local superstore..thus the reason a bunch were leftover and they ended up being thrown away while I caught one person scraping the cake plate for crumbs on the spice cake... Love that!!!!

That does sound good! Would you mind sharing the recipe?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 6:28pm
post #33 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Karen

The most annoying thing about pricing cakes is when I get a bride call to ask for a price on a cake, They say Oh I only want it plain not much detail at all (So the cake will be cheap) and then as you carry on talking to them all of a sudden the cake is covered in so much detail and piles of handmade flowers.......but remember they only want it priced on the 'plain' cake they asked for!!!

I finally started telling brides, "You're not allowed to use the word 'simple' unless you've actually made a wedding cake. Because you really don't know what 'simple' is."

Then I'd go into my litany about how "no border" is not simple because "I have to work harder to get the edge super smooth since I dont' have a border to cover the seam where the top and the side of the cake meet." that a stacked cake is not "simpler" than pushing pillars into the cake because I have to work harder to get the cakes level and even and I have to engineer them (use the word "engineer" a LOT . it sounds expensive!) to make sure the cake holds up and doesn't collapse on her.

Simple ..... it's a lot of work to get something to look "simple".

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 6:36pm
post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

But around here nobody will pay more than $50 IF that! So what is a designer to do? What are your thoughts?

I think it's a long slow process of eduation.

"I didn't want to pay more than $50."

"I understand. You might try walmart then. Oh wait ... there is no way walmart can do a carved pillow cake covered in fondant, intricantly decorated like you're wanting. Well, for fifty bucks, you probably can get one of their pre-baked sheet cakes with a blob of icing on the corner that looks something like a pillow........"

I've shared this before, but at the first mention of "ace of cakes", I'd quickly agree with them on how much I LUV the show .... and then point out that Duff has a $1500 minimum, "....and I'll guarantee that the cakes you see on TV are no where NEAR a lousy $1500 cake! the good news is I'm not QUITE that expensive. Now ... what exactly were you looking for?"

On my website of just plain 'ole dessert cakes page, I bluntly put on there "You won't find grocery store prices here .... but you want find these cakes at grocery stores, either."

Not everyone could afford me .... and that's ok.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 10:21pm
post #36 of 40

Thanks for posting that Cakey...I just got around to checking in or I would have icon_smile.gif It is a wonderful recipe.. the filling is truly heavenly.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:21am
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

[
I've shared this before, but at the first mention of "ace of cakes", I'd quickly agree with them on how much I LUV the show .... and then point out that Duff has a $1500 minimum, ".....

He's gone up again from $1000 minimum? Maybe the cost of PVC pipe and RKT went up, hahaha! Good for him, though, it must be nice.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 7:02am
post #38 of 40

I dealt with this today (well, I deal with it a lot lol)...someone asked me to do the diaper bag cake like in my gallery, and I told them it would start at $225 but could be higher depending on design and cake flavor...of course she came back and told me that was too much. I mean, if you think it's overpriced, then you go make a shaped cake with lots of decoration and gumpaste booties, pacifier, keys, and arealistic chocolate bottle! She says "Thats more than I was planning to spend, can you send me examples of $100 cakes" (I won't turn on the oven for less than 100 in most instances) so I asked her how many people she needed to serve and what theme the shower was. Her exact response was "Looking to serve 50 ppl and don't have a Theme just for a baby girl cake and want fondont on there for sure Thanks for your help!" sorry, I won't be helping. I sent her an email back telling her she couldn't go to a chain restaurant and get a slice of cake for less than $4, and mine was certainly better than any restaurant! And added that any reputable bakery wouldn't be able to help her euther, so please contact me if she reconsidered her budget. Lol

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 1:20pm
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

I sent her an email back telling her she couldn't go to a chain restaurant and get a slice of cake for less than $4, and mine was certainly better than any restaurant! And added that any reputable bakery wouldn't be able to help her euther, so please contact me if she reconsidered her budget. Lol

Good for you!

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 4 Oct 2010 , 7:22am
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Karen

The most annoying thing about pricing cakes is when I get a bride call to ask for a price on a cake, They say Oh I only want it plain not much detail at all (So the cake will be cheap) and then as you carry on talking to them all of a sudden the cake is covered in so much detail and piles of handmade flowers.......but remember they only want it priced on the 'plain' cake they asked for!!!

I finally started telling brides, "You're not allowed to use the word 'simple' unless you've actually made a wedding cake. Because you really don't know what 'simple' is."

Then I'd go into my litany about how "no border" is not simple because "I have to work harder to get the edge super smooth since I dont' have a border to cover the seam where the top and the side of the cake meet." that a stacked cake is not "simpler" than pushing pillars into the cake because I have to work harder to get the cakes level and even and I have to engineer them (use the word "engineer" a LOT . it sounds expensive!) to make sure the cake holds up and doesn't collapse on her.

Simple ..... it's a lot of work to get something to look "simple".

Amen to this - the less work on the cake the more ANY tiny tiny imperfection will show. Learnt this one on my first wedding cake for my friend. Although she did actually say to me "it's quite plain so it shouldn't be too hard" LOL

Having pricing prob again today. Said cake is bit too expensive but instead of one figure on top can i have 2 (???!) and make the 2 tiers smaller. mmm yeah but now you've added an extra hand made sugar model. Am I being dumb or is that more work but less cake??!! ok now they want to make them plastic. I don't want to do plastic!!!! bad start to this grey day! icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%