Duff Grafitti Spray In Silver...is It Worth Trying?

Decorating By cakeflake80 Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 8:27pm by vagostino

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 6

I am working on a cake right now that is going to be iced in fuschia buttercream with purple and silver fondant accents. I'm thinking it would look so much cooler with silver buttercream but I know that's next to impossible. I did see this stuff called 'grafitti spray' by Duff the last time I was at michaels. Has anyone tried this stuff yet? I'm sure it would give the silver effect, but I'm more concerned with how it will affect the taste of my buttercream. Do you think it's flavorless?

5 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry, no help but would also be interested in the answer. Michael's is much closer than the supply store.

Saffire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saffire Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 6

I've used the Duff silver spray... practice with it before aiming it at a cake. LOL... It doesn't make it REALLY silver unless you pass over and over and over... if you spray too close you'll get pooling... you need to be patient and let it dry in between sprays and be careful of overspray. I felt it was definitely worth the money and the tip didn't clog. I used it mostly on fondant and some on chocolate too... it gives it a silvery sheen, not a real opaque finish, but for accenting things it was awesome... I silvered up fondant and chocolate for guitar parts and it really helped the white fondant pop with the silvery sheen. There's no taste, that I could discern or that anyone's said.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks! I may just pick up two cans then. I need it to cover the bottom tier which will be an 8" square...but I want it to look silver rather than just an irridescent sparkle.

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 6

Well there was a long thread on this and some liked it some hated it. I didn't like it at all. My can DID clog went to get another one.. it clogged..complete mess. I ended up airspraying.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 6

I tried it once and hated it!. First of all, like others said is just a barely noticeable sheen, second, it clogged immediately and it drips! a total mess! Your are much better tinting the fondant a VERY light gray and then brush it with luster dust or something like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%