Stacking Tiers Using A Non-Crusting Icing Question

Baking By bmoser24 Updated 1 Oct 2010 , 6:09am by Unlimited

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 5

Has anyone done stacked 2 or 3 tier cakes, iced with a whipped topping like PP or bettercream before? If so, what do you do so that when the cakes are seperated to cut, they are not a big mess? I'm also thinking about using SMBC, how does that work? I dont think any of these are crusting, thats why I'm asking.
I'm thinking wax paper. Any suggestions??? Would like to hear from your experience!

4 replies
vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 3:06am
post #2 of 5

I usually cut my dowel a little bit taller than the cake so that the cake doesn't sit directly on the icing. It worked for me. Other suggestion is to use coconut on top of the cake before stacking ( haven't tried this though).

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:49am
post #3 of 5

anyyone?

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 5:58am
post #4 of 5

You can sprinkle some Jimmies, non-pareils or shredded coconut under this the stacked tier and then it separates without pulling the icing away from the tier underneath.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 6:09am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoser24

anyyone?

vanz is someone!

I happened across this on the home page (you may get more responses if it wasn't posted in the cupcakes forum).

Yes, I'd use wax paper. No, I wouldn't use coconuta lot of people don't like it and/or have allergies to it.

Also, you might want to consider having a container of hot water nearby to dip your knife into before each cut. All non-dairy whipped topping that I've ever used gets rubbery when it's air dried on a wedding cake, and it will tend to peel off the cake with each slice if you aren't dipping or wiping the knife frequently.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%