I Just Turned Down A Baking Job Because Of Money....

Decorating By Dizzymaiden Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 11:46pm by Unlimited

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 16

I am feeling really down right now. I went into the interview feeling great until she mentioned the money. I should have known-but now I feel bad for wasting her time and mine.

Mostly I feel crappy because I am sitting at my good paying desk job hating my work.

I know people say do what you love and the money will follow but how do you pay the bills in the meantime???? Quess I better start playing the lotto.

15 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 16

*hugs*

People can say alot of things, but when it comes down to the numbers they just have to match up. No matter how happy a job can make you if it doesn't pay the bills, it will end up stressing you out in the end.

Dizzymaiden Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 16

TexasSugar - Thank you for the speedy hug. I am sure with a little more work I will get there.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

*hugs*

People can say alot of things, but when it comes down to the numbers they just have to match up. No matter how happy a job can make you if it doesn't pay the bills, it will end up stressing you out in the end.

So true!!! I remember when I started decorating. Loved it. Loved the artistic release, loved the work, loved everything. Then I became a member of CC and began to hear the average prices for cakes. My grocery store job offers the cheapest of cheap cakes. I slowly began getting frustrated when people were asking for the moon and stars on their $20 cake. Now I have no problem saying to no to these people, but I don't enjoy the work as much. Sure, I can do most of what they're asking for, but I know it's just taking business away from the "cake pros" in my area if I tell them they can get what the high end bakery is offering for much less.

Stick to your guns and demand what you're worth.

luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 16

it sucks when you can't do what you love beause of the money aspect of it.
Big hug coming your way.

snowballwinters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowballwinters Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 16

I feel your pain Dizzymaiden, I have a great desk job...but it doesn't make me happy either...I just want to do cakes.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 16

I know what you mean, too, Dizzymaiden. Fortunately, the cake decorating bug hit me just as I hit retirement age, so I get to draw a pension as I set up my business. I hope that everything works out for you in the best way possible!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 16

I'm hating my desk job but now I'm down to 1/2 days. I opened my business a year ago but it takes time to build it up to support us so I still work, hating every minute.

Regarding the money side, yes, it's very frustrating. I just raised my prices on 9/1 and cutting back on decorations. I would do a 1/4 sheet cake with buttercream prices but spend loads amount of time on fondant decorations. Some of that was to help build my portfolio, but it was taking a ton of time for no payment. Yeah, buttercream and roses aren't the reason I started my business but I can get them done in 30 min and get on to the cakes that bring in money and make it fun. I've had to have some serious discussions with myself with the fun vs. the money and what it boils down to, it's a business and a business is to make money. I get to extend my creativity with dummy cakes for display and/or competitions.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowballwinters

I feel your pain Dizzymaiden, I have a great desk job...but it doesn't make me happy either...I just want to do cakes.

Me too icon_cry.gif

luntus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luntus Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 16

icon_cry.gif
I wake up thinking about cakes and go to bed still thinking about cakes. I have to be at this desk working and hating every bit of it and people getting on my last good nerve.
THis site makes it worse too.... when poeple post all those lovely cakes and I get tons of ideas..... UGH!!!!
MAYBE ONE DAY .... now let me get back to work....before I get busted for being on the internet.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:39pm
post #11 of 16

You see these people on tv who leave their job and open shops. What they don't tell you in the narration is that many of them were high-paid executives who found a new passion, and cashed in some kind of account to back it up - investments, IRAs, buy-outs, etc.

Is there any way you can work for this person part-time? It may be the release valve you need to cope with the job you hate.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Dizzymaiden Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Is there any way you can work for this person part-time? It may be the release valve you need to cope with the job you hate.Theresa icon_smile.gif

I am taking advantage of the day job for college reimbursement, marketing training and general business skills so that whatever I decide to do I will have a business plan.

I did tell her that I could come in on Saturday and in emergency cases but in truth she needs someone full time.

For those of you BRAVE cakers who jumped into the deep end - I admire and pray for you all good fortune and health!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 6:07pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

*hugs*

Agreed....things need to line up just right in order to make it all go. It is hard to go every day to do a job that you are not passionate about but pays that pays the bills. If you want to make a change that results in higher job satisfaction but lower pay, you need to take a realistic look at the numbers and plan carefully.

pinkjacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkjacs Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 6:25pm
post #14 of 16

fingers crossed something will c0me up that is the right money!

I love my job but it is REALLY poorly paid for what I do but I do it for the love of the job, I am lucky that I have my other 2 passions (cakes and hairdressing) to fall back on for wee bit of spending money.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 6:56pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

I've had to have some serious discussions with myself with the fun vs. the money and what it boils down to, it's a business and a business is to make money. I get to extend my creativity with dummy cakes for display and/or competitions.

Best advice every! If you're running a business, then its a business. Rent and bills are real things and unless you're the recent lottery winner or have a sugar-daddy on the side, the bottom line is you have to watch the bottom line!

too many people want to open a "business" because it's "fun" making cakes. I agree ... it's fun making cakes. But running a business is WAY different than just making cakes.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 11:46pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

I know people say do what you love and the money will follow but how do you pay the bills in the meantime????

I think people that say this aren't necessarily the "breadwinners" or need their wages to contribute to paying the bills.

It's easy to say this when you have the funds to start your own business or to fall back on during the wait for the money to follow.

It's also easy to say this when you are young, searching for a career that you like, and have no responsibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzymaiden

I am sitting at my good paying desk job hating my work.

I hope you don't hate your work to the extent of causing yourself stress, but rather that it isn't as creative as you'd like it to be, because NO amount of money is worth your health, well-being, and happiness. (I figured that out a long time ago!)

Sometimes a job change is necessary to remove yourself from an unhealthy environment and/or to maintain your sanity. It might be rough to take a cut in your income, but if priorities are rearranged and a solid long-term plan is assembledit can be done.

I'm certainly not saying that you should quit your job, I'm just hoping that what you don't like about it isn't an extremely bad situation. Perhaps you could do both; desk job plus part-time cakes on the side for yourself, or cut back on your desk job hours if possible plus part-time cakes for a bakery. Either way, you'd get to enjoy your hobby (hopefully, while getting paid). If you get your foot in the door with the bakery option, you won't regret the experience that you'll gain, which could allow you to command a greater salary sometime down the road.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%