Need Advice, A Tiny Vent, And Some Whining!

Decorating By HobbyCaker Updated 2 Oct 2010 , 5:26pm by JulieMN

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 8

I recently went back to work for the store bakery I use to work for several years ago. This time just as the cake decorator. I am friends with the Bakery manager but feel I have been put between a rock and a hard place and need advice.

The Store Manager and Owner approached me about creating a Gourmet Cupcake Line for them, they did not include the bakery manager in this conversation, I felt that was wrong, and told them that they needed to talk with her as I did not want to step on any toes. The store manager apoligized to her for not including her but now she is upset with me and is totally against the idea and feels that she was left out. We spoke about it and I can tell she is not wanting to be part of this, I am confident that I can come up with flavors that will sell, but not being part of the ordering and not knowing what is available through their sources and having a negative attitude about doing them is making me a bit concerned.

What would you do?

I just feel her anger should be directed at the Store Manager and Owner, not at me. Maybe I am wrong???

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCaker

What would you do?

I'd just do my job and what is asked of me, and let the bakery manager get over it. If she has a problem, she should take it to the store manager and the owner.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 8

I'm kind of a confrontational person (No! Really! icon_rolleyes.gif ) on stuff like that. I would want to pull her aside and tell her "I'm not sure why you're angry with me since *I* was the one who told THEM that THEY were out of line for omitting you from the decision making process. You and I are on the same team and I'd like to go back to working together to make this place teh most awesome bakery in town. Still friends, right?"

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm kind of a confrontational person (No! Really! icon_rolleyes.gif ) on stuff like that. I would want to pull her aside and tell her "I'm not sure why you're angry with me since *I* was the one who told THEM that THEY were out of line for omitting you from the decision making process. You and I are on the same team and I'd like to go back to working together to make this place teh most awesome bakery in town. Still friends, right?"

This is EXACTLY what I would do too.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:

I agree! This is just what you should do! Good advice!!

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 8

Oh Indidebi, I was so hoping you would chime in on this one. I almost pm'd you because I knew you would have great advice! icon_lol.gif

Thank you all for the validation of what I believe is right, I so agree with you all, I do not feel that I did anything wrong here. I just spoke with my oldest son about this too, he is in middle management in his civilian job and he told me to that her issue should be with the management not me.

If anything else is said, I will take my little cheat sheet with Indidebi's exact words on it and repeat it word for word! thumbs_up.gif

neecerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecerator Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 8

Good luck, Hobby Caker!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:

Couldn't say it any better than this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%