Would A Cookie Accent On A Cupcake Melt Into Buttercream?

Baking By tsal Updated 5 Oct 2010 , 2:10am by DuxDay

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 13

Hi,

I have been asked to help with a cupcake project. It consists of cupcakes topped with smbc, and the caterer wants to have a small cookie on top of the cupcake displaying a monogram.

Would a sugar cookie melt into the buttercream? Has anyone made cupcakes like this before? I'm just worried that the sugar cookie will get too soft and soggy when sitting on bc.

Advice?

12 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:09pm
post #2 of 13

no, it should be fine.

I put cookies on top of butter cream iced cakes and cupcakes all the time with no problem. I often use the NFSC recipe.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 13

No...I use fondant,Royal Icing run outs,cookies etc all the time on my cakes and cupcakes..Never had a problem.The only time I did was when I poked a piece of dried fondant into a thawing cupcake and the condensation caused the fondant to soften and wilt..Good thing I noticed the next morning before the customer came and replaced it with another..Never made that mistake again....

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 13

Hmmmm, I have to disagree with the previous posters. I used mini Oreos as ears for teddy bear cupcakes iced with chocolate buttercream. The cookies did become soggy and soft.

Maybe it's the cookie recipe used? Or maybe the fact that I sunk the mini Oreos halfway down into the buttercream? I just know that mine DID soften.

Maybe you could try a test run somehow? If some work and some don't, that might be your safest bet.

SillyJacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SillyJacs Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 13

This will be fine. It is no different than icing a sugar cookie with buttercream, except the icing is on the opposite side. Iced sugar cookies stay fresh for several days and never become soft. I think it sounds fabulous becasue it combines my favorites...cake, buttercream and sugar cookies.

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 13

Years ago, before fondant accents became popular, I used to use cookie accents all the time on top of buttercream...little animals, letter cut-outs, flowers & leaves. At the time, it felt like I was cheating because I couldn't create these items with piping. If you look at Wilton yearbooks from 15 years ago (or more!) they have many cake designs with cookies on them. But I do think they were all sugar cut-outs.

I'm sure the monogram cookies will look great. Good luck!

SugarFiend Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 13

Daaaaaaang! I'm so outnumbered! Nobody else has had soggy cookies?! Maybe my mini Oreos were soggy just because they were Oreos. Bummer. <sigh> icon_rolleyes.gif

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFiend

Daaaaaaang! I'm so outnumbered! Nobody else has had soggy cookies?! Maybe my mini Oreos were soggy just because they were Oreos. Bummer. <sigh> icon_rolleyes.gif

I must admit to never having tried Oreos on a cake, but maybe there is something different about them as opposed to sugar cookies. Or maybe your buttercream was really soft? Did you put the decorated cake in the fridge? Sorry you had such a problem, because it sounds like such a cute idea to use them as teddy bear ears. icon_smile.gif

SugarFiend Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 13

In retrospect, Oreos are pretty porous. They soak up a LOT of milk if you dunk them. And the buttercream was quite soft so I could get it through the grass tip. I guess maybe that might be it... ?

Kamstor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kamstor Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 11:40pm
post #10 of 13

I just made 50 cupcakes for a baby shower last weekend and placed a chocolate wafer cookie on top of the frosting with a homemade fondant piece. I placed the cookie on the frosted cupcake on Friday morning and they were not eaten until Saturday around 2pm and there was no issue with them getting soggie. I think that it all depends on the type of cookie. I think for sure the Oreo would get soft, but if its the type of cookie that is hard to begin with like the wafers I used or a ginger snap you would be fine.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks, everyone!! icon_smile.gif

yummycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummycupcake Posted 2 Oct 2010 , 12:11pm
post #12 of 13

To be safe, I will coat the bottom of the cookie with melted chocolate (white or dark) and put them on top of the frosting. The chocolate will insulate the cookie and prevent it to become soggy.

DuxDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DuxDay Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:10am
post #13 of 13

Bake the sugar cookies on wooden stirrer sticks first. Trim the stick to a height that will keep the cookie just above the BC icing. I usually add the cookie stick to the cupcake the day I'm delivering them. No soggy cookies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%