Rising Cost Of Butter?

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 9:26am by AnnieCahill

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 21

Has anyone else noticed the rising cost of butter? I usually get my butter from BJ's, their store brand, and it's gone from $6.49/4 lbs to $9.99/4 lbs in the ast few months! It's getting so it's not any cheaper than buying in the grocery store. What's going on?

20 replies
pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 21

I don't know if there is something going on but it is common for the price to rise as the holidays approach. Probably the retailers anticipating all that holiday baking.

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 21

I totally noticed the price going up here in CA.... had sticker shock the last time I made SMBC.

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 7:37pm
post #4 of 21

Yep, read an article last week that sugar and butter costs are at likely to continue to increase thru 2011:

http://www.magicvalley.com/business/article_423ce6b0-d4ac-5120-80da-b49fab27c9b1.html

perfectcakebyshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perfectcakebyshirley Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 21

It's not a rise in price due to holiday season, as the previous $6.49 price was stable for a couple years. The article was very interesting - I knew sugar prices were going up, but I didn't know about butter. Guess my cake prices will have to go up too! icon_sad.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 1:26am
post #6 of 21

I posted about this a few weeks ago. It is unbelievable how high they are going. At my local grocer LOL was 3.99 a pound. I notice they have stopped carrying the European imported butter.

My belief is supply and demand. Cupcakery places across the country are demanding more of these goods, so the cost is going up. I bet you flour will be up soon too. Not only because of demand, but also because of the Russian ban on exporting wheat right now.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:15am
post #7 of 21

I have been purchasing butter at Target I paid 1.88 a pound. Thought I was getting a good deal since the grocery store wanted almost 3.00 a pound.

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 8:19am
post #8 of 21

Yep, I was at Costco 2 days ago and was shocked, butter went from $6.99/4lb to $9.99/4 lb. Definite sticker shock. It was only $5.49 not too long ago when I first started price shopping butter, sugar, flour, etc.

Saffire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saffire Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 21

Around here, a good deal now is finding butter for $2.00 or under a pound... I nearly fainted to see it nearly double at a neighboring store but even on sale, at that store's more 'competitively priced competitor', $2.50 for a pound is now the sale price...

But then I've been noticing a LOT of things rising in cost, FAST the past couple years... doubling in some cases... part of me wants to believe it's because I'm getting older and everything's gone up but it's just not the case... items are also shrinking (no more half gallons of ice cream, except for a couple local dairies in our area that still carry them) but the price didn't go down when they went to 1 1/2 quarts... I'm wondering how long it'll be until sticks of butter start shrinking.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffire

I'm wondering how long it'll be until sticks of butter start shrinking.

Oh there will be Hell to pay if that happens! icon_mad.gif

I have a hard enough time with the math, they better not make me start trying to figure out how much it takes to reach a "Stick" as called for in a lot of recipes.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 21

What about whipping cream?? I almost had a stroke when I saw a container of heavy whipping cream was over $6.00 icon_cry.gificon_eek.gificon_cry.gif This really stinks.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:17pm
post #12 of 21

sigh...
Last fall I stocked up on store brand butter when it was on sale for $.98/lb..this week it's on sale for $2.88/lb.

Ugh.

Saffire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Saffire Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 5:48pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

What about whipping cream?? I almost had a stroke when I saw a container of heavy whipping cream was over $6.00 icon_cry.gificon_eek.gificon_cry.gif This really stinks.

WHOA... that's crazy! unless it was like a gallon of the stuff! i can't remember what the actual price was, last quart of whipping cream we but but i'd be willing to say at or around $2...

are cows on strike and we don't know it? what's next chickens refusing to lay eggs and raising those prices?

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:32pm
post #14 of 21

Even at Aldi the price of butter is going up fast!! Sheesh!!

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:44pm
post #15 of 21

lol, you know it's bad when Aldi is getting expensive.

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:48pm
post #16 of 21

You aren't kidding!! Just in the past year my grocery bill at Aldi has gone up about $40.00. Same stuff just higher prices. Oh and they changed their shortening to a transfat free, that po'd me big!! icon_mad.gif

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:54pm
post #17 of 21

A couple of years ago, I paid 52p for a 250g pack of butter.

It's slowly risen and risen until, recently, it was 86p for a 250g pack.

It's just gone up again to 98p a pack... and that's the 'economy / value' butter. Better brands are a lot more!

anxietyattack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anxietyattack Posted 29 Sep 2010 , 6:57pm
post #18 of 21

I wonder if using local butter would be cheaper? I know that I can buy from a local dairy close by but I'm not sure about the comparison in price...

Speaking of rising grocery cost, this morning on the Today show I saw "The Cheapest Family in America". She got $350 in groceries for $198!!!!!! They just came out with a book and I'm thinking I'll be picking it up

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 4:07am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by anxietyattack

I wonder if using local butter would be cheaper? I know that I can buy from a local dairy close by but I'm not sure about the comparison in price...

Speaking of rising grocery cost, this morning on the Today show I saw "The Cheapest Family in America". She got $350 in groceries for $198!!!!!! They just came out with a book and I'm thinking I'll be picking it up

Our grocery store just started carrying local Amish butter for $7/2lbs, so it's about the same, but I'm curious to try it for a taste comparison.

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 8:46am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

A couple of years ago, I paid 52p for a 250g pack of butter.

It's slowly risen and risen until, recently, it was 86p for a 250g pack.

It's just gone up again to 98p a pack... and that's the 'economy / value' butter. Better brands are a lot more!

Yep same over here. Now every time I see Lurpak on a 2 for £2 I clear the shelf. may as well get the good stuff when you're paying the same for it anyway! icon_wink.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 30 Sep 2010 , 9:26am
post #21 of 21

If you're really hard core, you can make your own:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/homemade-butter-2/Detail.aspx

I'm too lazy to do that though.

Edit to add-if you look at the reviews, it looks like it's much tastier and more cost-effective than buying it in the store. But I'm still too lazy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%