Idea On A Pipeable Frosting For Pineapple Cupcakes?

Decorating By lizzycakes Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 5:13pm by lizzycakes

lizzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzycakes Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 9:24am
post #1 of 3

Any ideas on a good tasting (pipe-able) frosting for pineapple cupcakes?

I plan to try this pineapple cream cheese filling
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16004/totally-yummy-pineapple-filling

So Since I know nothing about frosting, wouldn't a vanilla buttercream piped out in a swirl on this cupcake be a bit overwhelming? Does any particular type of frosting pair well with/clash with a cream cheese filling????

I am new to this, before I started using with fondant (and therefore buttercream) I was always a coolwhip+pudding+milk frosting type of girl. Now I am excited that I am making cupcakes without fondant and can use a refrigeratable frosting again if I want.. but what type of frosting goes good with pineapple (box) cake!?? I've neven even had a pineapple box cake.

Can I sub the water in the mix recipe for pineapple juice?

Its for a girls b-day party, so I want to be able to at least pipe a swirl of frosting out on them, it's ok if they need to stay cold.

2 replies
soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 10:00am
post #2 of 3

Why can't you do a piping of cream cheese frosting on top? Or maybe flavor the buttercream with a bit of your cream cheese frosting. I wouldn't think that the vanilla would be overwhelming though, if you wanted to try that. The only other thing that comes to mind is coconut. Pina Colada, you know. Personally I don't think vanilla buttercream is an overwhelming flavor, ever. But perhaps you should make up a small batch of vanilla and sample it alongside the cream cheese to find out how you like it. icon_wink.gif

lizzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzycakes Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 3

Hmm maybe I will mix the two like you said! I was just thinking buttercream might be overwhelming because of the sweetness (I didn't mean the flavor). Also I wasn't sure if it's common to have a cream cheese filling with buttercream frosting..

I made some cotton candy buttercream frosting the other day, and of course I wanted them to be cute, so I piped out a big swirl on top and I ended up having to scrape off most of the frosting on the one I ate. I know a lot of people love a lot of buttercream though, so I guess it should be ok

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%