Help Need To Make A 3 D Border Collie Cake

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 11:56pm by sweettreat101

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 8:18am
post #1 of 6

I just found out my boss has received a promotion and will be leaving. She has asked me for a 3 D Border Collie cake over the years and I would really like to make one for her going away party. Any ideas on the best way to make one and what kind of support I should use. I have seen people make supports using pvc pipe but have no clue where to start or what kind of shape to aim for. I want this one to really blow her socks off. Any tips for making the fur? I want detail. Also I have uses RKT in the past but the last couple of times I have used them they were not very sturdy they kept sagging or falling apart. Any recipes, additives or tips greatly appreciated.

5 replies
ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 4:42am
post #2 of 6

I watched this video til I couldn't any more, for my first dog cake. After the first , it becomes much easier. You can pause it anywhere if you need to.

sweettreat101 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 7:55am
post #3 of 6

I have watched that same video four times now. Can anyone tell me what size cakes you think she started with? What do you think she used for the legs and were the sticks inside the legs for support? Did she layer the fondant before adding the texture or was it just the sheet of fondant that she covered the cake with. I can't even tell if there are cake boards between some of the layers. I wish the video was a little slower. Hard to catch everything. It almost looks like she added something for the feet. Thanks everyone.

ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 6

All of your questions are answered on the video, just pause it like every 2 seconds and you can see every single question you have answered. It is gonna take some time to see everything.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 6

That woman (in the video) is a totally fabulous sculptor! Amazing creation!

sweettreat101 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 6

I did pause the video throughout the entire four minutes. But when she is stacking the cake before carving she skips from four layers to eight. . I see her placing some type of plastic dowels in the cake but what good are they going to doing if you are placing layers of cake on top of them without card boards? Then in another frame she is applying the leg but next to it is a skewer. It doesn't show if the skewer in inside whatever she is using. I don't think RKT would be stable enough for the leg to stand up like that. Thanks everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%