What Would You Consider A "manly" Cake Flavor/fill

Decorating By kkbritt8 Updated 25 Sep 2010 , 3:53am by lizzycakes

kkbritt8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkbritt8 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:52am
post #1 of 12

I'll be making a cake for a hunter's lodge silent dessert auction and was given complete freedom on the entire cake. The only request I received was not to do a foo-foo flavor since it will be for "men." Just looking for some ideas of what you would consider a good "manly" flavor that may be a little more than just plain chocolate???

Thanks all!!

11 replies
chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:15am
post #2 of 12

Jack & Coke
Salted Caramel
Maple & Bacon (sounds really weird, but surprisingly good...it's kind of like breakfast icon_smile.gif

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:55am
post #3 of 12

cookies and cream
crushed up candy bar in bc filling (skor bar hahaha)
carmel/coffee
peanut butter

HTH

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 6:16am
post #4 of 12

every time i make a chocolate cake the guys love it. I just did a Chocolate Guinness cake that was amazing...just replaced the water for the beer icon_wink.gif

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 6:25am
post #5 of 12

My husband's birthday is in a few weeks and I asked him what kind of cake HE would like. He said either Oreo, Reese's, or a Snicker's cake.

I do a Reese's PB cake that all the guys I know go crazy over. Chocolate WASC with chopped PB cups added to the batter. Peanut Butter chocolate ganache with more chopped Reese's added to it for a filling.
I think I will do a Snicker's cake this time around though.

kkbritt8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkbritt8 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 7:52am
post #6 of 12

Thank you all for some great suggestions. Strangely, the maple and bacon cake does sound interesting.

Soph917, would you be willing to share your peanut butter chocolate ganache recipe? I tried a PB filling recipe I found on CC and wasn't terribly crazy about it. With the Snickers, are you just using crushed candy pieces? Would love to hear how you're doing it!

Thanks!

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 8:37am
post #7 of 12

Peanut Butter Chocolate Ganache-
12 oz dark chocolate, chopped (I use semi-sweet chips usually)
1 C heavy cream
1 T butter
3/4 C creamy peanut butter

Place chocolate in a med size bowl. Heat cream and butter together, bring just to a boil. Pour over the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Immediately add the peanut butter and whisk gently, until smooth again.

I use this as the filling, but i sprinkle a nice even layer of chopped frozen Reese's cups across the layers.

For the Snicker's cake I was planning on doing a choc WASC with chopped Snicker's in the batter. For the fillings- caramel, (I have used a caramel recipe from this site that I really liked in the past). In addition to a layer of caramel- a layer of SMBC (SMBC flavored with a bit of warm caramel), adding roasted, chopped peanuts to that layer, and finally, covering with ganache. I haven't made a Snicker's cake before, but I've been wanting to. I know my husband will go crazy for it.

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 9:33am
post #8 of 12

Believe it or not Maple Buttercreaam & Bacon bit sprinkle over is gooood!

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 9:33am
post #9 of 12

Whiskey cake
Bailey's Cake
Guinness Cake
(lol, see a trend here???)

Chocolate cake
German Chocolate maybe change the nuts out
Peanut Butter filling in a chocolate cake

Really any flavor is good for guys. Not sure what they mean by 'foo foo' flavors, but maybe don't go with a sponge cake.

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 11:01am
post #10 of 12

hey chelseak would you mind sharing your recipe/your adaptations to make a jack and coke cake
? I have never heard of that but i know for sure my fiance would love that!!
TIA
lollyponpon

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 12

Sure lollyponpon! I don't have the recipe at home, but I will try and get it tomorrow. For the icing, just use about a couple tbsp (depending how strong you want it icon_wink.gif ) Jack Daniels instead of water/milk in a vanilla BC. Will try and post that recipe tomorrow icon_smile.gif

lizzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizzycakes Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 3:53am
post #12 of 12

Strawberry cake with Nerds(candy) sprinkled in the filling. They Love it!! (really they do)

But the other cake I make that all men loved was yellow cake with chopped up oreos in the batter, and a whipped frosting (cool whip, 1 c milk and package of pudding).. but it needs refrigeration.. works great with stuffed cupcakes too, but omit the oreos in the filling portion.

Also a crushed up toffee sympathy bar is good on a whipped chocolate frosting (same as abve recipe).. I assume you would like something that doesnt require refrigeration.. but this is a good one for your husbands or friends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%