Leah's No Bulge Trick

Decorating By walterak Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 4:12pm by thumbs

walterak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 13

I want to try this on my cake I have to decorate Thursday, as I always have a bulge creep up. I am brand new to decorating and just to it on the side...and I have always iced and decorated the same day.

I get the fill it and wrap it and put the tile on...my question is how long do I let it sit for? Are we talking 2 hours or overnight?

If it is overnight...my cake is for Saturday. If I did this part Wednesday and finished icing and decorating Thursday...will my cake still be fresh? Its in the freezer now. I had planned on taking it out Wednesday night so it would be thawed to decorate Thursday.

Thanks...I just want to understand and utilize these great tips from all you pros!

This would be the trick I am talking about
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633571-.html

12 replies
MaryAllison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaryAllison Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 13

Oh, please, please share on this topic all of you experts. If I have another buldge, I promise, the kitchen wall will be decorated in buttercream and cake.

Thanking you all in advance!

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 13

"Put the cake on a board. Fill. Wrap in plastic wrap. Then put a ceramic tile on top. Wait 2 or 3 hours. The ceramic tile should be about the size of the cake. "

The above quote came right from Leahs thread.....it says wait 2 or 3 hours after you put the tile on!

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 13

HAHA...DUH! I read right past that. Thanks! Is it safe to let it rest overnight though? I guess I should have asked that. I wouldnt mind filling and putting my tile on at about 6pm and then doing the rest the next day. Just curious.

I still can't believe I didn't see that...Its definately MONDAY!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 13

I usually let the tiles stay on overnight.
For a Saturday cake, prep is done on Thursday. Prep = pulling cake layers (previously torted and leveled) from the freezer, filling, wrapping and weighting.
Friday is icing and decorating.
Saturday is delivering.

I would not start a Saturday-due cake on Wednesday.

Sissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sissy_Cakes Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 13

I have also experienced the "battle of the bulge". This past week, I tried Leah's suggestion in allowing the cake time to settle once I filled it. For a cake due Saturday, I filled the cake layers on Thursday night then wrapped them real good in saran wrap. I iced and covered the cake in fondant Friday, and put my decorations on. The cake was delivered Saturday tasting fresh and bulge free! Filling the layers early also helped me manage my time. I work full-time so spreading out the tasks makes it easier on me.

LondonLass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LondonLass Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 13

Could you tell me what you all mean by "fill". Im new to this and perhaps use different expressions in England.
Obviously I know what the word fill means but in context of
"Put the cake on a board. Fill. Wrap in plastic wrap. Then put a ceramic tile on top. Wait 2 or 3 hours. The ceramic tile should be about the size of the cake"
What is it referring to??
Thanks to anyone who can help x

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 13

"FILL" is anything that goes in between the layers of cake. It could be fruit, jam, ganache or simply more frosting.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 13

[quote="walterak"]HAHA...DUH! I read right past that. Thanks! Is it safe to let it rest overnight though? I guess I should have asked that. I wouldnt mind filling and putting my tile on at about 6pm and then doing the rest the next day. Just curious.

I still can't believe I didn't see that...Its definately MONDAY!!![/quote

Happy Monday!

I also like to let my cakes rest overnight after filling icon_smile.gif I follow the same sort of timeline as Leah just mentioned!

walterak Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:32pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks!! I guess I will have to suck it up and change my decorating plans. I have cakes to bake for next week, thats why I was going to decorate Thursday...so I could bake Friday...and I have a wedding to go to Friday night. Oh well...guess I will be baking Saturday!!

My cakes are leveled, but not torted as I just use the layer between my 2, 2" cakes and fill that.

I actually think in the long run, this will be easier than trying to get it all done in one day. This way I have all my buttercream made too, since that is what I am using to fill and cover, then fondant! I will be making my fondant in advance too...since this week by reading this site I have learned its best to let MMF sit at least overnight!!!

I am super excited about trying all these new tips from everyone!!! Now my 80's cake should be AWESOME!

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 3:54pm
post #11 of 13

great idea, and thanks for the timeline as well, it is very helpful!

sharonk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonk Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:11pm
post #12 of 13

Does the weight of tile change the height of your tier?

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 4:12pm
post #13 of 13

For a Saturday cake I always pull the cakes out of the freezer Wednesday morning. Fill them Wednesday evening when they have defrosted. Wrap and stick in the fridge with tile on top overnight. Then I start decorating Thursday which gives me Friday as well depending on the cake details or deliver/or have it picked up for Friday which most of my customers want so they are not dealing with the cake on the day of the event.

I am always told how fresh and great the cakes taste so it certainly doesn't harm it to start Wednesday.

For me to start Thursday I just wouldn't have enough time to get them out the door on Friday after it settles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%