How To Colour Sugar?

Baking By zespri Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 9:44am by Nusi

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:37am
post #1 of 6

Hiya

How can I colour sugar? I remember ages ago reading that you put sugar in a plastic bag, and add colour of some sort, then kinda massage it in. But that seems like it'd melt the sugar....? And I can't remember what kind of colour it said to use, I just remember that it wasn't gel.

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks!

Rachel icon_surprised.gif)

5 replies
jlh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlh Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 6:53am
post #2 of 6

I've used the Wilton color. I used a spoon, in a small bowl. Had to let dry over night, and stir again to get it all to break up evenly. It was bit moist at first, before it dried.

ysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ysa Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:14am
post #3 of 6

i sift the sugar ,i only use the big crystal particles..then just put a little gel from the toothpick and well it goes..dont massage it too much just lightly, only use gel colors.

Ezad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ezad Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:35am
post #4 of 6

I prefer to use sugar flair paste color though wilton would do. I add a little color to the sugar in a small plastic bag, massage it in evenly and use it. It's not really wet though it could be done some time before use to let it dry out.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 7:42am
post #5 of 6

thanks guys! when you say 'a little', what sort of ratio are you talking?

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 9:44am
post #6 of 6

the ammount depends on how dark you want the color to be... and the ammount of sugar used. for only a small ammount i would try to take a little with a tooth pick and use that with the sugar. but the more the sugar the moor u would need.. remmber that paste is concentrated as is so u propably wont need much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%