Silicone Fondant Work Mat

Decorating By judyj2 Updated 20 Sep 2010 , 2:39am by AnotherCreation

judyj2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judyj2 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all: I am kind of intriqued by the claims of the Ateco Fondant work mats. They state you don't need shortening or Icing sugar to roll out fondant. Have any of you cc'ers tried it and if so, does it work as claimed. Does fondant really not stick at all to it. Thanks for any advice.

3 replies
Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 7:17pm
post #2 of 4

I have one and I love it but I do lightly grease it and you have to be very careful when you cut thing on it.

Holly123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holly123 Posted 19 Sep 2010 , 7:54pm
post #3 of 4

It don't stick to bad but I still use shortening and powder sugar. Diddo on the cutting...

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 2:39am
post #4 of 4

I just bought one last week. I did lightly coat it in crisco but I don't hink i needed too. I went back after rolling the fondant for the cake( a 21" X 28" ) I used 2 11X15's side by side double layer. It was a big cake. Anyway I went back to roll out some smaller pieces for decor and didn't put any additional ps or crisco and it didn't stick at all. The nice thing was that I was able to cover such a large area with one single piece of fondant by just flipping the mat. The small film of crisco kept the fondant on the mat when I inverted it. No tears, no rips and was easy to get off the mat. I LOVED IT!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%