Fondant Covered Cupcake

Baking By AnnBland Updated 26 Sep 2010 , 2:18pm by frostinggalore

AnnBland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnBland Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 5

How do you cover the top of a cupcake with fondant without getting those ugly bumps? I have tried by putting some BC on and smoothing it out then putting the fondant disc over it, but I couldn't get the fondant looking nice and smooth. Any tips? icon_sad.gif

4 replies
Kahlua Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahlua Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 5

You could try ganacheas well. I think the trick is to make sure there is a little space left at the top of the cake wrapper so you can create a smooth edge with the buttercream, I use quite a lot before I put fondant on mine. I make a dome of buttercream and use a palette knife to smooth from top of dome down to wrapper, so the buttercream finishes flush with the wrapper. Does that make sense? A little hard to explain without pictures.

Kahlua Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahlua Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 5

You could try ganache as well. I think the trick is to make sure there is a little space left at the top of the cake wrapper so you can create a smooth edge with the buttercream, I use quite a lot before I put fondant on mine. I make a dome of buttercream and use a palette knife to smooth from top of dome down to wrapper, so the buttercream finishes flush with the wrapper. Then use a cookie cutter to cut circle and i use a bit of old x-ray film (bleach it to remove image and steralise) to smooth the fondant on. Does that make sense? A little hard to explain without pictures.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 9:36am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlua

You could try ganache as well. I think the trick is to make sure there is a little space left at the top of the cake wrapper so you can create a smooth edge with the buttercream, I use quite a lot before I put fondant on mine. I make a dome of buttercream and use a palette knife to smooth from top of dome down to wrapper, so the buttercream finishes flush with the wrapper. Then use a cookie cutter to cut circle and i use a bit of old x-ray film (bleach it to remove image and steralise) to smooth the fondant on. Does that make sense? A little hard to explain without pictures.

^ thumbs_up.gif

You can also use the thin clear plastic front cover found on some document binders/folders in stationery stores, just cut a piece about the size of the palm of your hand, and round the corners on it a bit. You need to find the folders with the right thickness of plastic on them though...if you think of the x-ray film it should be similar to that.

frostinggalore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostinggalore Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 5

I set an large empty pan or cutting board over several at a time the rub very lightly, works every time and you can do a bunch at a time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%