Rice Paper

Decorating By bigcakes Updated 17 Sep 2010 , 10:56pm by doramoreno62

bigcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigcakes Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 12:05am
post #1 of 7

i have someone who wants hunter camo cake. having problems air brushing. if i use rice paper will it cut normally or will it crinkle or shift?

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:36am
post #2 of 7

Rice paper, properly named wafer paper, does not cut easily. It does not melt into the icing like an icing sheet does.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 6:41am
post #3 of 7

What kind of icing/frosting are you covering your cake with? I frost all my cakes with Pastry Pride and use rice paper pretty often. If your icing is "wet" the paper will soften into the frosting but it will not dissolve completly. If you are covering in fondant I'm not sure but I doubt the paper will soften. If using fondant or a crusting buttercream, can you paint the camo on with a brush? I'm not exactly sure but I think wafer paper is thicker than rice paper. The rice paper (that's what they call it at the supply store where I shop) I use cuts very easily. I used rice paper on the corona bottle label, Dodgers logo, Day of the Dead wedding cake, and Michael Jackson cake in my photos.

bigcakes Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Rice paper, properly named wafer paper, does not cut easily. It does not melt into the icing like an icing sheet does.

Where can i find icing sheet and how do you print a pattern on it? icon_eek.gif

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 7

http://www.icingmagic.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21

To print you will need a dedicated inkjet printer exclusively to be used with edible ink... where do you live? Some places offer printing service of non-copyrighted material for about $5 each page

bigcakes Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_a_cake

http://www.icingmagic.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21

To print you will need a dedicated inkjet printer exclusively to be used with edible ink... where do you live? Some places offer printing service of non-copyrighted material for about $5 each page

im in california ive been told albertsons does it. Thank you for the info. i was never gonna do cakes. i was stickin to cheesecakes and breads. but i couldnt turn the lady down

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 7

Hey bigcakes, Albertsons will do it for $10-$12. Nothing copyrighted of course!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%