Vacation?

Business By tootie0809 Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 12:52pm by emrldsky

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 8

I'm leaving for a 10-day vacation in January, and I don't know how to handle not being here to answer calls. I will have my laptop on vacation and will be able to easily answer emails, etc. I could have my calls forwarded to my cell phone from my business line, but that kind of defeats the purpose of vacation when you spend a lot of your time on the phone doing business. Plus there's going to be about a 5-hour time difference. It's just me in my business, so I don't have anyone who can "run the show" while I'm gone.

I was thinking of leaving a message on my voicemail that I will be out of town from XX to XX date and if they had a question to please email me and I'd return e-mails while out of town. Is that a good way to go about it? This will be the first time I've left for more than a day since I started business, so not sure the best way to handle being unavailable.

7 replies
lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 8

Leaving a message stating you will be gone sounds like a idea. I wouldn't want to answer emails on vacation....that's not fair to you or your family.(if you have one) You can't make any orders while your gone anyway. If they need to place an order you can call them later. And remember...."their lack of planning is not you emergency"! icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 8

I would do the standard
"I am currently out of the office (or bakery icon_smile.gif ) until (insert return date) Please leave your name, number and a short message and I will return your call on (insert date). Thank you and have a great day"

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 8

I would put a message on your voice mail. But don't say you are out of town. I don't know if you do it out of your home or a shop but you really don't want to announce to everyone that you are out of town for 10 days.

I would say something like Leily suggest.

"I will be unavailable from xyz date to abc date and not accepting orders for anything in those dates. If you need a cake for after abc please leave me your name, number and I will return your call after abc date. You can also send me an email at myname.cakes.com with your information and I may be able to reply to you before abc date."

Of course you can widdle that down some. I tend to be long winded. icon_wink.gif

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 8

I do work out of my home, but my hubby will be here (he's not invited on this vacation.....girls only!!!). Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will just say that the bakery is closed during those dates and all calls will be returned when it is open again on xx date. Thanks!

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 8

Please do not say you are out of the office. Or announce on Facebook that you're leaving. I see people do that all the time and it's like "you just announced to millions of people you are not at your home. COME ROB ME! I know private profiles and all that, but it's not really. One of your friends may be friends with someone who isn't all that trustworthy, and they could see your post inadvertantly.

I always change my phone message to say something like I'm working on a big project at the moment and email is the best form of communication. Blah blah blah, I will return your email soon. Yada yada yada. NO ONE needs to know WHY they need to email. PERIOD.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 8

I just did that - went on vacation. I left a message on the phone that said I was not available from XX to XX and please leave a message, I would contact them as soon as possible.

I did NOT take the laptop with me either! icon_biggrin.gif I wanted a VACATION, and it was wonderful. I spent 2 days returning calls and emails when I returned home, but didn't do ONE while I was gone. thumbs_up.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:52pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyKakes4Me

Please do not say you are out of the office. Or announce on Facebook that you're leaving. I see people do that all the time and it's like "you just announced to millions of people you are not at your home. COME ROB ME! I know private profiles and all that, but it's not really. One of your friends may be friends with someone who isn't all that trustworthy, and they could see your post inadvertantly.

I always change my phone message to say something like I'm working on a big project at the moment and email is the best form of communication. Blah blah blah, I will return your email soon. Yada yada yada. NO ONE needs to know WHY they need to email. PERIOD.

If you handle your Facebook page correctly, only certain people would really know that you're out of town. icon_wink.gif My page is locked down so anyone who isn't on my friends list can't even see my profile picture. Also, I have friends lists set up so my coworkers can't even see my status updates (same goes for HS people I don't want to talk to).

To the OP, I think leaving a message is appropriate. Good luck!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%