Anyone Interested In Re-Starting The Great Scratch Off?

Decorating By durell87 Updated 30 Sep 2010 , 1:06am by Lita829

durell87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
durell87 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:39am
post #31 of 66

yumm! stacey that recipe looks sooooo good i might just have to try that one when the time comes!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 4:48am
post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by durell87

yumm! stacey that recipe looks sooooo good i might just have to try that one when the time comes!

I agree...It does sound yummy!

durell87 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 5:27am
post #33 of 66

mmm its so hard to pick recipies i think ill prob end up entering two but for now this is the one ive come up with!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Moist-Tender-Spice-Cake/Detail.aspx?prop31=2

icon_biggrin.gif

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 9:17pm
post #34 of 66

Ok. so after a couple of nights reading and comparing recipes I have two spice cake recipes to submit.
The first one originated from epicurious, but I made a few changes.
The second recipe is from food and wine, but I changed just a little.

I am also adding one pumpkin spice cake recipe, also originally from epicurious but with changed amounts (and also omitted some ingredients). So I am posting the recipes rather than links + explanations on what to change.

Spice Cake #1

2 cups cake flour
  2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  1 teaspoon baking soda
  1/2 teaspoon salt
  1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  1 1/2 cups (packed) golden brown sugar
  4 large eggs, separated
  1 tsp vanilla
  1 cup buttermilk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Sift first 7 ingredients into small bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add brown sugar and beat until well blended. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with sour cream in 2 additions. Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in medium bowl until stiff but not dry; fold into batter in 2 additions. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
Bake cake until top is golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake 10 minutes. Cut around pan sides; release pan sides. Cool cake completely on rack.

Spice Cake #2:

2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature

Directions
1.  Preheat the oven to 350° and position a rack in the lower third. Butter and flour two 8-by-2-inch round cake pans. Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt and cloves onto a sheet of wax paper. Combine the buttermilk and vanilla in a small pitcher.
2.  In a standing electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy. Add the light brown and granulated sugars and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, stopping once to scrape down the bowl. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the flour mixture at low speed in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, just until the batter is smooth; stop the mixer occasionally to scrape down the bowl.
3.  Divide the batter evenly between the pans. Transfer the pans to the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the cakes begin to shrink from the sides. Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes, then turn each out onto a rack, invert onto another rack and let cool completely. Wrap each cake in plastic and store at room temperature overnight.

Pumpkin Spice Cake

3 cups all purpose flour
  2 teaspoons baking powder
  1 teaspoon baking soda
  1 tablespoon + 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  1 tablespoon ground ginger
  2 teaspoons ground allspice
  1 teaspoon salt
  1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  1 teaspoon clove
  1 cup sugar
  1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
  3/4 cup canola oil
  1/4 cup applesauce
  4 large eggs
  1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
  1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  1 tablespoon grated orange peel

Directions:
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper; dust pans with flour. Sift 3 cups flour and next 7 ingredients into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat both sugars and oil in large bowl until combined (mixture will look grainy). Add eggs 1 at a time, beating until well blended after each addition. Add pumpkin, vanilla, and orange peel; beat until well blended. Add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Divide batter between prepared pans. Smooth tops.
Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 min. Cool cakes completely in pans on rack. Run knife around cakes to loosen. Invert cakes onto racks; remove parchment paper. Turn cakes over, rounded side up. Using serrated knife, trim rounded tops of cakes to level.

Have a great weekend!!!

Lita829 Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 10:15pm
post #35 of 66

OMG....those recipes sound delish!!

durell87 Posted 18 Sep 2010 , 4:48pm
post #36 of 66

I cant wait to start baking!

durell87 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:23pm
post #37 of 66

ok guys sorry ive been gone awhile house has been sick.
looks like so far our recipie list is

Spice Cake #1

2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides. Sift first 7 ingredients into small bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add brown sugar and beat until well blended. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions alternately with sour cream in 2 additions. Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in medium bowl until stiff but not dry; fold into batter in 2 additions. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
Bake cake until top is golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake 10 minutes. Cut around pan sides; release pan sides. Cool cake completely on rack.

Spice Cake #2:

1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350° and position a rack in the lower third. Butter and flour two 8-by-2-inch round cake pans. Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt and cloves onto a sheet of wax paper. Combine the buttermilk and vanilla in a small pitcher.
2. In a standing electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy. Add the light brown and granulated sugars and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, stopping once to scrape down the bowl. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the flour mixture at low speed in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, just until the batter is smooth; stop the mixer occasionally to scrape down the bowl.
3. Divide the batter evenly between the pans. Transfer the pans to the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the cakes begin to shrink from the sides. Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes, then turn each out onto a rack, invert onto another rack and let cool completely. Wrap each cake in plastic and store at room temperature overnight.

Pumpkin Spice Cake

3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon clove
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup applesauce
4 large eggs

Directions:
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper; dust pans with flour. Sift 3 cups flour and next 7 ingredients into medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat both sugars and oil in large bowl until combined (mixture will look grainy). Add eggs 1 at a time, beating until well blended after each addition. Add pumpkin, vanilla, and orange peel; beat until well blended. Add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Divide batter between prepared pans. Smooth tops.
Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40 min. Cool cakes completely in pans on rack. Run knife around cakes to loosen. Invert cakes onto racks; remove parchment paper. Turn cakes over, rounded side up. Using serrated knife, trim rounded tops of cakes to level.

Spice Cake #1

2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup buttermilk

Directions:

Spice Cake #2:

1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350° and position a rack in the lower third. Butter and flour two 8-by-2-inch round cake pans. Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt and cloves onto a sheet of wax paper. Combine the buttermilk and vanilla in a small pitcher.
2. In a standing electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy. Add the light brown and granulated sugars and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, stopping once to scrape down the bowl. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the flour mixture at low speed in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, just until the batter is smooth; stop the mixer occasionally to scrape down the bowl.
3. Divide the batter evenly between the pans. Transfer the pans to the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the cakes begin to shrink from the sides. Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes, then turn each out onto a rack, invert onto another rack and let cool completely. Wrap each cake in plastic and store at room temperature overnight.

Pumpkin Spice Cake

3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon clove
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup applesauce
4 large eggs

Directions:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Moist-Tender-Spice-Cake/Detail.aspx?prop31=2

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/buttermilk-spice-cake-with-roasted-walnut-cream-cheese-frosting-recipe/index.html

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/spiced-pumpkin-cake.html

Does this sound about right? i figured since we have a smaller group a small list is probably good so we can really compare everything.
if theres no other recipes anyone wants to add i think ill go ahead and start the baking thread if thats ok with everyone. icon_biggrin.gif

stacey71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey71 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 6:55pm
post #38 of 66

Sounds good icon_smile.gif

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:43pm
post #39 of 66

Have you started the baking thread? I haven't been getting any updates on this thread! GRR! :[

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 7:57pm
post #40 of 66

When does the baking 'officially' start?

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 8:26pm
post #41 of 66

Jess- once the baking thread is posted, there will be a start date and a date to have your results in by. The last ones lasted a month for each flavor we did.

lacklin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacklin Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 8:43pm
post #42 of 66

I have a great recipe for a variation of a spice cake. It's a Colston cake but it tastes like a chocolate spice cake. Would that work for this?

what_a_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
what_a_cake Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 9:22pm
post #43 of 66

I'm in... lets bake!!! Someone mentioned 2 flavors, which are they?

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 10:15pm
post #44 of 66

I would like to join in............did you close the submission early?

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 22 Sep 2010 , 10:51pm
post #45 of 66

In the recipe for Spice Cake #1, the ingredients list calls for buttermilk, but the instructions say sour cream. Anyone know which one is right? I imagine either one would be pretty good, but we should specify for the sake of the experiment.

durell87 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 12:58am
post #46 of 66

Tea-42 the submissions are still open and we would love for u to join

What-a-cake were doing spice cake and so far its regualr spice and a pumpkin spice cake variation

Lacklin that sounds great post it and we can add it to the list

So the offical bake date is the 1st with results due the last day of the month. We just didn't have any activity on this thread in awhile so I thought we were ready to bake however it looks like there's some more intrest so ill wait to start the bake thread so any last minute recipies can be added
Does that sound good? Did I answer all the questions? Lol

Tea42 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 1:32am
post #47 of 66

My entry:

Old South Spice Cake (Southern Living)

1 cup butter or margarine, softened (I'm a butter gal) icon_smile.gif
2 cups sugar
5 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 to 1 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
Nut-and-Fruit Filling
Caramel Frosting
Pecan Halves
About 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate Morsels, melted

Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Combine flour, cocoa, allspice, cinnamion, cloves, and salt. Bossolve soda in buttermilk. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture aternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.

Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch cakepans. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes Remove layers from pans; cool completely on wire racks.

Spread Nut-and-Fruit Filibg between layers; frost top and sides of cake with Caramel Frosting.

Arrange pecan halves around base of cake. Fill a pastry bag with the melted chocolate; pipe desired designs with chocolate over the pecans and on top of cake.

Nut-and-Fruit Filling
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 1/2 cup raisins, ground
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine all ingredients, mixing well. Yield: about 4 cups

Caramel Frosting:
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tbls light corn syrup

Combine all ingredients in a large heavy saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cook until a candy thermometer reaches soft ball stage (236). Cool mixture slightly. Beat until mixture reaches spreading consistency; frost top and sides of cake, working rapidly. Yield: enough frosting for top and sides of one 3 layer cake.

I know all of you do not need such detailed directions but I have a littte OCD in me. icon_smile.gif

This is delicious! Can't wait for my agbay for 1st place............LOL

Lita829 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 2:55am
post #48 of 66

These recipes sound DELISH! Its gonna be tough deciding which ones to try!

Adevag Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:10am
post #49 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronica

In the recipe for Spice Cake #1, the ingredients list calls for buttermilk, but the instructions say sour cream. Anyone know which one is right? I imagine either one would be pretty good, but we should specify for the sake of the experiment.

Thanks for bringing that up. It should be buttermilk, like in the ingredient list. The original recipe had it with sour cream and from reading the reviews, the ones that changed it to buttermilk had a better result, so that was one of the changes I made. But I did not even think to change it in the directions.
Hope it's not going to cause any confusion. icon_redface.gif

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:38am
post #50 of 66

Ok I am so excited!! I am trying to find good scratch recipes. This will definately speed things up. I am in!! thumbs_up.gif

durell87 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 4:36am
post #51 of 66

yes its definitly going to be hard to decide whichones to try! k so adavag if you remind me a litle closer to the 1st ill change it when i paste it into the bake thread ok!
yay! im glad were getting a few more ppl! it will help with the best possible results! and its even more fun lol! icon_lol.gif

what_a_cake Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 3:39pm
post #52 of 66

Would like to suggest: Guiness and Spice Cake..... delish mix of flavors thumbs_up.gif
Ingredients:
* 1 cup of dark beer (Guinness)
* 350 grams molasses
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 3 large eggs
* 230 grams brown sugar (dark or light, optional Rapadura)
* 200 ml oil
* 150 grams cake flour
* 2 1/2 Tablespoons ground ginger
* 2 1/2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
* 1 small jar orange marmalade
Oven at 350, greased and floured 10 cups pan.
Mix beer with molasses in a small pan over medium heat. Boil and put aside, add baking powder and let cool.
Beat eggs with sugar for 2 minutes approximately or until eggs look pale yellow.
Add oil and beat on medium.
Add egg mix to beer mix and stir to blend.
Sift flour with species.
Add to the mix gently stirring,
Pour batter on prepared pan and place on middle of on oven for 60 minutes or until test done with a toothpick on the center of the cake.
Let cool 20 minutes over wore rack. Unmold and let cool completely.
Warm marmalade on low during 3 to 4 minutes. When liquefied, spread covering all sides of cake
Will stand in perfect condition up to one week at room temperature

Lita829 Posted 23 Sep 2010 , 10:22pm
post #53 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adevag

Ok. so after a couple of nights reading and comparing recipes I have two spice cake recipes to submit.
The first one originated from epicurious, but I made a few changes.
The second recipe is from food and wine, but I changed just a little.

I am also adding one pumpkin spice cake recipe, also originally from epicurious but with changed amounts (and also omitted some ingredients). So I am posting the recipes rather than links + explanations on what to change.

Spice Cake #1

2 cups cake flour
  1 teaspoon baking soda
  1/2 teaspoon salt
  4 large eggs, separated
  1 tsp vanilla
  1 cup buttermilk

Directions:

Spice Cake #2:

1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Directions
1.  Preheat the oven to 350° and position a rack in the lower third. Butter and flour two 8-by-2-inch round cake pans. Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt and cloves onto a sheet of wax paper. Combine the buttermilk and vanilla in a small pitcher.
2.  In a standing electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter at medium speed until creamy. Add the light brown and granulated sugars and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, stopping once to scrape down the bowl. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the flour mixture at low speed in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, just until the batter is smooth; stop the mixer occasionally to scrape down the bowl.
3.  Divide the batter evenly between the pans. Transfer the pans to the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the cakes begin to shrink from the sides. Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes, then turn each out onto a rack, invert onto another rack and let cool completely. Wrap each cake in plastic and store at room temperature overnight.

Pumpkin Spice Cake

3 cups all purpose flour
  1 teaspoon baking soda
  1 teaspoon salt
  1 teaspoon clove
  1 cup sugar
  3/4 cup canola oil
  1/4 cup applesauce
  4 large eggs

Directions:

Have a great weekend!!!

Sorry....I don't know how to select only part of a post. My question is with the last recipe...the pumpkin spice cake (it sounds absolutely DEVINE icon_biggrin.gif ). In the ingredient list there's applesauce listed but the directions don't state when to add the it. Do you add it after mixing the sugars and oil but before the eggs?

durell87 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 5:27am
post #54 of 66

what-a-cake yumm! think i might try ur guiness cake! do you have the conversions to cups for the flour and suger and whatnot by chance?

what_a_cake Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 9:11am
post #55 of 66

I don't durell87 but can work it out. Email me and I'll send them to u icon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 11:30am
post #56 of 66

I have already baked one of the recipes! When does the rating start? I am trying to decide which to bake next. icon_lol.gif

Lita829 Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 12:05pm
post #57 of 66

I guess I'll just have to figure it out. I always do.

Adevag Posted 24 Sep 2010 , 10:25pm
post #58 of 66

OH, l guess I was too excited to post my recipes I forgot to check that everything was making sense.
So for the pumpkin spice cake, the apple sauce should be added with the oil.
Thanks again!!! thumbs_up.gif

durell87 Posted 25 Sep 2010 , 1:00am
post #59 of 66

Springlake cake. So officially its supposed to start the first but u can start baking anytime just try to take a pic of the crumb and write down ur observations so there nicw and fresh for the review!

If we don't have any more submissions tho in the next day or two ill go ahead and get it started I'm way to impassient and its been awhile lol

Tea42 Posted 26 Sep 2010 , 4:47pm
post #60 of 66

Do we just decide which 2 we want to test or is someone making sure that all recipes submitted are tested? I'm ready to start baking icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%