Fondant Drape Advice Needed

Decorating By Joshsmom Updated 2 Sep 2005 , 8:08pm by LittleLinda

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 4

I am going to be doing an anniversary cake for next weekend and I would really like to do a drape.

I haven't worked much with fondant so I need some advice.

-Would MMF or regular fondant work better?

-I'm assuming you DON"T want to make the drape ahead of time as you don't want it to harden and not be able to put it on your cake, right?

-Do you make one huge drape or do you kind of make sections and apply it to look like one?

-How thin do I need to roll it, and about what size do I need to roll it out too?

I'll take all the advice I can get on this, please

3 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 4

I'm doing a 3 tier cake with the fondant drapes this month too. To play, I made some MMF and rolled it out and gathered it (fan style) and attached it to a tiny cake I made. it held up overnight. (then I gave it to the couple so they could see and taste it.) I believe you would do one drape for each tier, not one long drape for the whole cake. As far as thickness, I have no answer in gauge; but it wasn't too thin. Are you doing the cake that is in the 2004 Wilton yearbook? My couple found a picture of a similar one on the internet, and e-mailed it to me. The whole cake is covered in fondant; I suggested buttercream frosting and fondant drapes. My sample looked fine. E-mail me and I'll send you the picutre ... see if it's the same thing you're going to do. [email protected]

Joshsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshsmom Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 4

I'm actually doing a 2 tier with 4 layers each, iced in BC and will be doing a fondant bow with drapes and then a few flowers scattered here and there for a 40th anniversary.

I'll have to check out the yearbook though.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 2 Sep 2005 , 8:08pm
post #4 of 4

Joshsmom,
Please post a picture when done. Wow, four layers, that will be heavy. Also, happy birthday in a couple of days!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%