Icing Tax

Decorating By 3GCakes Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 1:57pm by TattooMom25

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:03am
post #1 of 11

Hey all....

I'd like some input on this...

I teach at a local High school and Middle school....I buy pre-made icing to make things easier.

Normally, I buy a bucket of icing at Sam's....
....................they do NOT charge tax on it.

Today, because I cannot carry 30 pounds of icing due to an aching back, I bought the smaller bucket of Wilton icing at a local Meier's.

The bucket was 14.99, PLUS TAX!

Is it normal (or LEGAL) for icing bought in ONE AISLE to be charged tax, and not in another?

I do not know the legal wranglings that are associated with one classification to another....but I thought that food was food. Frosting/icing in the cake aisle is NOT taxed. But because I bought it in a different aisle, it IS.

Is this right?? Or legal??

10 replies
Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 11

That is strange...

I also have noticed this between AC Moore and Michaels with food coloring gels. One charges tax, the other doesn't. I'm interested to know what others think. humph...

pag41989 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pag41989 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 11

I have never noticed that before. Then again I am not a very observant person when it comes to shopping. icon_eek.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 11

You should check with your state tax department, then get in touch with the store.

An unusual item are TWIX candy bars. If you look carefully, they are labeled "cookie bars ". This allows them to be sold in schools when candy is not allowed. Also, when you buy ONE of these it is taxed like a candy bar. When you buy the family pack from the cookie aisle, they are not taxed, like the rest of the cookies.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 11

could it be that sams club icing already have the Tax in thier price?

(no the same BUT) here if I go to one liqour store the tax is put on when I pay at the cash. When I go to another, The tax is already in the price, so when I go to the cashier if the price on the tag says $8.50 thats exactly what I pay

kccinderella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccinderella Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 11

Your Sam's club membership may have a tax exemption if it is the school's membership.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 11

If the membership is tax exempt, then the cashier would have asked when the OP paid. A cashier must ask first if the member wants their purchase to be tax exempt or not. But, no, that's not the case. Everything purchased from the bakery (cake, finished or a case of unfinished cakes, icing, etc.) does not have tax added on.

A few months ago, I was working at the membership desk (yes, I work at Sam's) and a member noticed when she bought some cranberry juice cocktail, she was charged tax. She was wondering why and I did have to call a manager over to find out why because I was stumped as well. Luckily, the manager working was the grocery manager and had an answer. It was because the cranberry juice cocktail contained less than 10% (could be wrong with that number) real juice. The rest is additives and whatnot. (really makes you want a tall glass of cranberry juice cocktail huh?) Because it contained less then 10% actual juice, they were able to charge sales tax on it.

So your tax on icing question could be related to that some how. Or it could be that Wilton is meant to be sold in a retail store and the icing at Sam's is a bakery supply item and meant to be used on finished product.

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 12:27pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the responses, all.

When I buy stuff at Sam's, like Rose_N_Crantz suggested, I use my own Sam's club card and then show them a card issued to me by school when I need to purchase something that needs a tax exemption. If I only buy icing, then I don't need to show the card, because they don't tax it.

I ended up calling Wilton yesterday, and they were a little less than helpful...the lady said "Well I have to pay taxes on things I buy and so do you!"....uh..yeah well duh!! I tried to explain about how Ohio exempts food and she was clueless. I ended up asking her if there is anything about Wilton icing that makes it unable to be classified as "food"...he he he...she said not that she knows of. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway...after Rose_N_Crantz's explanation, I supposed it makes a little more sense, but it sure is frustrating. I guess the canned icing in the baking aisle is food enough, but not if you move it to where the pans are sold. What a waste of a lawmaker's time.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 11

Here in NY (we know taxes!) there is actually some info at the state tax website. They specifically exclude food color and spices and flavorings from tax, but I could not find frosting. They do however tax "confections". Maybe that's it?

Check you state's website for more info. Some store might have it wrong. Wilton sure has the wrong attitude.

Chiara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chiara Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:43pm
post #10 of 11

Each state taxes items differently. Wilton (or any other food company) would have no way of knowing what each individual state classifies its icing products.
Keep in mind as well that there is also a difference from the store. Michael's is not considered a grocery store whereas Sam's is. So again, they fall into different taxing classifications.
You should call your state tax dept and not the manufacturer.

TattooMom25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TattooMom25 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 1:57pm
post #11 of 11

This is an easy one. I am in Fl where we have no tax on "food" items. Sam's and the grocery store sell food (as well as non-food items). Check your reciept: Food items will not carry tax, non-food items will. At Sam's club icing would be considered a food item. And as another poster mentioned Michael's doesn't carry food, so all there items would be considered non-food for taxing purposes.
(not sure about candy bars and soda at register though)
Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%