Painting On Cakes

Decorating By kcasey210 Updated 16 Sep 2010 , 4:31pm by AmandaLeigh00

kcasey210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcasey210 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 12:59am
post #1 of 7

I have seen many cakes be decorated with paint. I love to look but do not know what kind of paint to buy or where to buy it? I am assuming you would paint the cake like you were painting a canvas, but if there is more to it than that advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

6 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:08am
post #2 of 7

Here's a previous thread, so that you can read about it:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-653558-.html

jimagination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimagination Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 1:08am
post #3 of 7

You use the same food color as you would to tint your icing. I have seen some mix it with a little vanilla extract, vodka and so forth where the alcohol evaporates and I have a cook book that says to mix with coco butter, however, I have also seen some do it with just wilton colors, but it remains tacky.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:48am
post #5 of 7

I love to paint on cakes (see my photos for some with painted grass on) i use gel colours mixed with a little vodka and i also use edible dusts, again mixed with vodka. paint as you would on paper and leave to dry. good luck!

jimmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimmers Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 10:10am
post #6 of 7

Hi, I recently had a manchester city football crest cake to do. Soooo complicated I decided I'd have my first attempt at painting!! I used sugarflair paste colours or lustre dusts and diluted them with pure vanilla extract. It's then just like any other painting. It worked great for me and I was really pleased with the outcome!! It's also pretty easy although I found a few sheets of rolled fondant to practise on and get the hang of consistency helped me. Good luck icon_smile.gif

AmandaLeigh00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLeigh00 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 7

I've done a little painting on cakes. I've even painted on buttercream. To do this, it has to be a crusting buttercream and you have to be very gentle when painting, but it's possible. I second the above in that I have mixed Wilton colors with just a little vodka and you just paint it on with decorator brushes. It really is fun! I have a pink and black leopard print cake in my gallery that I painted and it's all buttercream. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%