How Do I Make An Ice Cream Cake?

Baking By cplfernandez Updated 15 Sep 2010 , 2:41pm by Msjckson

cplfernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cplfernandez Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 6

A friend of mine really wants an ice cream cake, but she also loves the look of a fondant covered cake. Can these two things go together?

And how do you make the ice cream cake in the first place?

If anyone knows and can give me instructions, I would appreciate it greatly!

5 replies
leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:26am
post #2 of 6

When I make an ice cream cake I get the ice cream out to soften up a bit while I line the pan with wax paper or foil. Scoop the ice cream into the pan, cover with wax paper and press down firmly with a cake circle so it is level. Put it in the freezer and once it is frozen solid again you can pop it out by pulling up on a corner of the wax paper. Wrap in plastic wrap and put back in the freezer.

You can make as many ice cream layers as you will need for the cake and have them ready in the freezer. Then once the cakes are baked and torted I pull the ice cream rounds out of the freezer pull of the plastic wrap and waxed paper and stack btwn the layers then wrap the, and put back in the freezer till the whole thing is frozen solid. (this helps give you more time to apply frosting before it melts).

I don't know about using fondant on ice cream cake, i've never tried it. I kinda think it would get hard to chew on a ice cream cake since you eat it while it's still kinda frozen.

angelwings1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwings1 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:52am
post #3 of 6

I actually have special pans that I use for ice cream cakes. Can't remember the brand off the top of my head, but Wilton has some. The way the pan is shaped, it actually bakes with a built-in "tunnel". Once the cakes are cooled, you fill the tunnel on each half with softened ice cream, and stick them in the freezer. When frozen, put your frosting over one half of the ice cream and cake (I use a whipped cream frosting) invert the other half over it and frost as usual. Here's a link to Wilton's pan http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=2105-150. They even have a heart-shaped one! I may have to get that. icon_smile.gif My son, who is grown, likes ice cream cake, so that's what he got last year for his birthday, and will probably get this year. I made one with white cake and cookies 'n cream ice cream and one chocolate with minth chocolate chip ice cream. Big hit!! Not sure about the fondant part.

angelwings1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwings1 Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:56am
post #4 of 6

Uh-oh. Let's try that link again.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=31F32F85-802D-F658-08306AABFBA26C0E&killnav=1

If it doesn't work this time, just go to wilton.com and type Fanci-fill in the search box. And, when I said there's also a heart-shaped one, I meant that the tunnel is heart-shaped, not the pan.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 8:10am
post #5 of 6

I just scanned in some instructions for you, I didn't realise I wouldn't be able to e-mail them to you. Well, at least I can't see how? Send me a PM with your e-mail address if you want me to send the instructions to you.

Msjckson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Msjckson Posted 15 Sep 2010 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 6

I just watched this video a few nights ago...

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=fairytalecakes#p/u/6/78mOMNHC2y8

There is also a method using spring form pans.. hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%