Fall Leaves Colors

Decorating By DinasSugarShack Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 1:31am by Vanessa7

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:13am
post #1 of 9

I making fondant maple leaves for an autumn cake. Does anyone have suggestions about specific wilton or any other brand colors to achieve a natural autumn look on the leaves? Like an orange or a yellow color? I just have the basic and i was wondering if anyone has tried different colors.

Dina

8 replies
AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 7:43am
post #2 of 9

I like using the butternut yellow as a base for fall colors. It adds a little of a brownish yellow hue.

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 8:04am
post #3 of 9

I use orange, yellow, copper, burgundy, green and brown. Sometimes I make the leaves a solid colour and sometimes I make them multicoloured. Check out my galleries. I have made a few leaf cakes.

HTH.
p.s. I use wilton and americolour gels.

DinasSugarShack Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 9

Butternut yellow, is that a wilton or Americolor color?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 9

Buttercup is a Wilton color. Golden Yellow has an orange tinge to it too. I'd stay away from lemon yellow as it is very bright. For orange there is also a terra cotta color that is a deeper orange.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 9

If you have access to an airbrush, you can do some really cool fall leaves with that. I used a base of yellow for the ones on this cake, and then used red, green brown, and orange. It worked out pretty nice, one of my favorite cakes. You can make the acorns with caramels and chocolate clay.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1500879

stacey71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey71 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 9

Just wanted to say Loucinda, that I love your cake. It is perfect icon_smile.gif

DinasSugarShack Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:23am
post #8 of 9

Loucinda:
unfortunately I don't have an airbrush, but I love your leaves they look so natural.
i appreciate everyone's help

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:31am
post #9 of 9

I just made several small maple leaves and streaked multiple colors together to get a more realistic look. Red/green, red/brown, orange/green, orange/brown, yellow/green, yellow/brown, etc. I'm still kinda new to the cake world but was happy with how they turned out. Once the cake is done I'll post pictures (assuming I can get the site to load them that is!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%