Need Help Quick! Red Buttercream

Decorating By durell87 Updated 12 Sep 2010 , 7:06am by durell87

durell87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
durell87 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 6:56am
post #1 of 7

im makeing a spiderman bust tomorrow and have to die my buttercream red red. i wasnt really worried about it but then i read some comments on here stating that its harder than other colors. should i be worried? dont i just mix the color in when im making the frosting? does it just take extra or something? sorry im just getting nervous cuz i have to have the whole thing done sunday morning lol. would it be better to run to micheals and get the color spray can things?
any advice would be great thanks icon_surprised.gif

6 replies
Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 7:36am
post #2 of 7

I'm sure others will give you better advice but I know for a fact that red is a really tough colour to get right. You may want to make your icing as soon as possible and colour it so you can see if it goes the shade of red you want. Trying to colour just before you ice may end up being a bit frustrating.

i'm not sure but I think I remember someone saying colour the icing pink then add red..

HTH (a little bit!)

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 7:53am
post #3 of 7

you just need to add a ton of colour, although it depends what brand you have - it takes more of wilton than it will of americolor.
id agree to make ur icing soon, so the colour can deepen too.
xx

soph917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soph917 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 8:17am
post #4 of 7

I have found that letting fondant or frosting sit overnight after dying it red helps. I don't know why, but the color seems to deepen as it sits. And yes, it takes a LOT of red. I have been using Duff's icing colors lately. It comes in a tube, similar to toothpaste, and makes it so easy. Getting red and black takes only 2 minutes now. Never going back to Wilton!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 10:16am
post #5 of 7

In Toba Garretts book, she says first mix egg yellow, then add the red. I do it this way all the time to get better results. It still takes a LOT of red, but it easier than going from white to red.

durell87 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks guys I'm gunna get started making it might now! Ya all I have is the wilton kind and only a small amount have a feeling I might be making an emergency micheals run! Lol

durell87 Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 7:06am
post #7 of 7

oh my goodness i hate making red! i ended up using 2.5oz red color the wilton kind and its still kind of a funky red not to mention because of all the color my icing got runny so had to add mmore ps then it tasted funny. oh my it took all morning to get that stupid icing to be just ok lol! letting it sit definitly help with the color tho.
thanks for everyones advice i will post a pic soon icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%