Mmf Question

Baking By khadijah Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 3:55pm by GingerLashley

khadijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khadijah Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:17am
post #1 of 16

I'm still a beginner and tried decorating with MMF for the first time yesterday. I melted together about 10 ounces of marshmallows and 2.5 TBS of water. Then added the confectioners sugar until the 'right' consistency was achieved. What bothers me is that I ended up adding less than 3.5 cups sugar! Even though the recipe states 4 cups for 8 oz of marshmallows.
Then I greased the fondant surface, wrapped it up and let it sit overnight on the kitchen counter. When I was using it the next morning, I had to constantly microwave it to make it more pliable. What am I doing wrong?

Attached is a photo of the finished cake. Criticism is appreciated!

15 replies
khadijah Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:32am
post #2 of 16

I can't seem to figure out how to attach the photo on here. I uploaded it to my gallery.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:04am
post #3 of 16

First of all ...your cake and fondant turned out great! I make fondant all the time, and i never measure. I just get a bag of lg mm's (I heard if you use sm, MM's there is more corn starch so results may vary) I add a couple T of water or flavor and micro 2 min.
I have 2 lbs of sifted PS ready and I use what i need. I'm not sure why some days are different, weather- heat, humidity, me???? But it does change. So,I go for a texture I like. I leave a little underdone~little bit sticky and coat lightly w/crisco and wrap, let sit overnight and the next day I work with greased hands. I let the heat of my hands soften the fondant. I dont micro prepared fondant unless i absolutly have to,I know others do, but I dont. Done have a need to. It took practice for me, and once I start to work my MMF, idont use PS...I use CS dusted, just works better for me. Oh yeah, I color the night before if using red or black esp. they will deepen overnight, and i dont over color and make my MMF texture weird.
HTH ~ Blessings

khadijah Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 4:17pm
post #4 of 16

Yes I did use mini marshmallows. Maybe that's why I ended up using very less powdered sugar. Also, my hands naturally stay very cold. that could be why I had to microwave the fondant constantly. Does adding more water help the fondant become more pliable? I might try that next time.
Thanks for replying. I really appreciate it. icon_smile.gif

GingerLashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GingerLashley Posted 12 Sep 2010 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 16

i also work with MMF... i use a bag of the mini ones... and about 3 to 5 tsp of water... more or less depending on flavoring if i add any or not... then i use a 2pound bag of PS... i grease down my work area and my hands and put PS down about half...then pour my MM on it... kinda make a bowl in the PS so it doesnt go everywhere... then add the rest of my PS and work away till its all nice and smooth... i am constantly adding more crisco to my hands and the surface... i think using the crisco helps make it smooth too... then i roll it up in a ball and put it to the side well covered in crisco and in a plastic bag... and clean up my area for cornstarch... i also color before i do this so the color doesnt stain my countertops the crisco helps with that lol... i never leave mine out over night i always put it tightly wrapped and coated in the fridge... then when ready to use let it sit out for a few hours and maybe put it in microwave for 30 sec at a time to soften if its cooler in my house that day...

khadijah Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 11:40am
post #6 of 16

Sadly they don't sell crisco where I live. I just use butter to grease everything. I'm going to try making MMF again later this week. Hopefully I will have better luck!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 12:04pm
post #7 of 16

Crisco could be called a different name in Saudi Arabia.

For example in the UK it is called Trex, in Australia it is called Copha.

You just need to look for white vegetable fat.

You may be correct that they don't do it in Saudi Arabia but you may not be looking for the right thing icon_razz.gif

HTH

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 12:07pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by khadijah

Sadly they don't sell crisco where I live. I just use butter to grease everything. I'm going to try making MMF again later this week. Hopefully I will have better luck!

Can you find butter flavored non sitck cooking spray? I use that to grease all my bowls and utensils even the table I knead the fondant on. I am assuming it would work to coat it before wrapping as well. I also keep a pyrex measuring cup with super hot water next to my ka mixer and if the fondant seems to be getting too stiff as its being worked I will ad a very small amount and it makes it glass smooth

khadijah Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 10:45am
post #9 of 16

Thanks! Will be on the lookout for those things next time I go grocery shopping. I have seen butter flavored non sitck cooking spray a few times. But they're mostly out of stock.

jleigh982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleigh982 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:35am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by khadijah

Does adding more water help the fondant become more pliable? I might try that next time.
Thanks for replying. I really appreciate it. icon_smile.gif

I would not recommend adding water to your MMF after it is formed, it tends to mess up the consistency and no matter how much PS you add, it doesnt go back...personally I would stick with the method of microwaving since you've already seen that it works for you. good luck and happy baking!

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 14 Sep 2010 , 11:54am
post #11 of 16

I use both MMF and MFF all the time. Not sure if you have a kitchenaid mixer but if you did it is WONDERFUL when it comes to making both. I also use mini mm about 16 oz. then I add about 2-3 tbsp of water and microwave until melted. (If I need to color I add the color at this time) Then I dump the melted mix into the mixer and put about half of a 2lb bag of PS on top of the mix and using the dough hook turn the mixer on low speed and just let it mix away. About 5-8 minutes into the kneading I will add about a cup or two more PS and mix for about 3 more minutes. Then I scrape the mixture out and making sure my hands are greased knead the fondant to make sure it is smooth. The whole process takes about 15 minutes. Sometimes I let the fondant sit overnight and sometimes I use it after settling about an hour. Works either way. I do have issues when it is very hot and humidity is high and that is when I use the MFF.

GingerLashley Posted 20 Sep 2010 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 16

totally after i post in this thread and had 2 cakes due this weekend... i was having problems with my MMF so i had to jsut wing it with the 1st cake... well when the 2nd batch started acting the same way i knew it had to be the way i was making it... and i realized the marshmellows i was using this time were 10.5oz bag... so i had to melt a few more and knead them in by hand... it finaly pulled together... and now after reading tiffany's post i realized thats exactly what i was doing wrong with these 2 batches i use to use 16oz bags... and this time for some strange reason the bags were smaller...

khadijah Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 1:29pm
post #13 of 16

I made MMF again last week. This time I put a tablespoon of corn syrup and the fondant was much much better. Smooth. pliable, and elastic. icon_biggrin.gif

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 2:57pm
post #14 of 16

I do not use corn syrup but my problem is the opposite...my MMF is way to elastic and does not roll out well and when I can get it rolled out good, it shrinks...if not before I put it on the cake then within hours of putting it on, which is a huge problem.
It does not happen every time, so I think it might have something to do with the brand of MM I use...Wish I knew.

GingerLashley Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:52pm
post #15 of 16

i know i read somewhere not to use generic MM.... but i use generic MM and PS... and havent ever had a problem until this weekend... but it was because the bag ws smaller... i am also going to try corn syrup in mine next time cause i see alot of people using it and gelitian... so i am trying to find a way to make it the best... cause i would hate to resort to buying premade when it doesnt ahve a great taste...

GingerLashley Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:55pm
post #16 of 16

i know i read somewhere not to use generic MM.... but i use generic MM and PS... and havent ever had a problem until this weekend... but it was because the bag ws smaller... i am also going to try corn syrup in mine next time cause i see alot of people using it and gelitian... so i am trying to find a way to make it the best... cause i would hate to resort to buying premade when it doesnt ahve a great taste...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%