...make My Roses Smooth Without Looking Torn?

Decorating By CarolLee Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 8:30pm by AngelFood4

CarolLee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolLee Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 11

I seem to get hung up on this. I've bought new tips, changed my buttercream recipe. My roses still turn out looking "torn" on the edges. Any suggestions??

10 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:05am
post #2 of 11

It helps sometimes to open out the narrow point of the tip a tiny bit.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:18am
post #3 of 11

Sounds like your icing could be too dry, or your tip is too smalltry adding liquid and/or use a larger tip. (if you're using a #104, try a #124 instead.)

Or, open up your tip (like Texas Rose suggested).

Marla84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marla84 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:38am
post #4 of 11

When I learned how to make roses, I was told to add some of the Wilton ready-to-use decorator icing to my regular buttercream. It definitely worked for me - no more torn edges! I've also heard that adding additional Crisco works too but I haven't tried that.

mimido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimido Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 11

Mine did that too, open the tip just a little.They still aren't the best , but they're not torn.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 2:29am
post #6 of 11

Yup, open up that pinched end of the tip a bit, if it still happens, add a little more liquid.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:55am
post #7 of 11

I make mine with Pastry Pride. When I over whip it, they have that "torn" look. You icing is probably too dry, as the other said.

CarolLee Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:38am
post #8 of 11

Thanks folks! I will heed these tips this weekend!! Opening those tips.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 11

Here are some of the trouble shotting for roses tips I have written up for my students:

Problem: Ruffled/Rough egdes

Cause #1: You are turning your flower nail too fast while not squeezing your bag hard enough. This will cause the icing to pull and stretch thus leaving your roses petals with cracked edges.

Fix: Don't fill your bag so full that you have to struggle to pipe. You will need to squeeze your bag harder as you pipe.

Cause #2: Your icing is too dry.

Solution #2: Test your icing to see if it is too dry. Take a small amount of the stiff butter cream and roll it into a ball. Take that ball and hold it between your thumb and first finger. Squish the ball with your finger and lift away. If the icing did not stick to you at all it is too dry. The perfect icing for roses will feel sticky/tacky to the touch but you will not have a lot of it actually stick to your finger.

If your icing is too dry add about a tablespoon of Crisco to every cup of icing OR about a teaspoon of piping gel. You may need to add more, just depending on your icing, but either will add creaminess to your icing that will help it stick against the base better and pipe smoother.

CarolLee Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Here are some of the trouble shotting for roses tips I have written up for my students:

Problem: Ruffled/Rough egdes

Cause #1: You are turning your flower nail too fast while not squeezing your bag hard enough. This will cause the icing to pull and stretch thus leaving your roses petals with cracked edges.

Fix: Don't fill your bag so full that you have to struggle to pipe. You will need to squeeze your bag harder as you pipe.

Cause #2: Your icing is too dry.

Solution #2: Test your icing to see if it is too dry. Take a small amount of the stiff butter cream and roll it into a ball. Take that ball and hold it between your thumb and first finger. Squish the ball with your finger and lift away. If the icing did not stick to you at all it is too dry. The perfect icing for roses will feel sticky/tacky to the touch but you will not have a lot of it actually stick to your finger.

If your icing is too dry add about a tablespoon of Crisco to every cup of icing OR about a teaspoon of piping gel. You may need to add more, just depending on your icing, but either will add creaminess to your icing that will help it stick against the base better and pipe smoother.

Thanks so much TexasSugar!! This certainly helped me!

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 11

Adding some piping gel to the BC will help with it not tearing and breaking...works like a charm even when piping out letters. I learned that from a cake instructor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%