Phone Calls That Seem Odd

Business By dreamcakesmom Updated 21 Sep 2010 , 4:35pm by tracycakes

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 21

Just wondering. Have you ever received a call that seemed odd and what could their intention really be? I work from home and my phone rang and I let it go the the machine as I saw it was an out of state area code and had both my small children crawling all over me. Literally they hung up 4 times and keep calling back. Finally I picked up and they abruptly asked for the price of a certain cake they saw online. I politely said if they give me their email and the number of servings they are looking for I can forward my pricing list as well as let them know how much it would be for the size cake they were looking. She got really short and said, you can't just tell me how much it would be?" I explained I had to pull up the info on my computer and that I would email her shortly.

I live in MA and the area code was CA.

20 replies
ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 21

I've had people call me before for cakes from out of state. Once for an anniversary cake from AK, a graduation cake from IL, and a wedding cake from Guatamala. All were coming to OH for their events. All paid in full to before I even turned the oven on.

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 21

I receive a lot of phone calls with out-of-state area codes. More often then not, it is someone new to my area using a cell phone with a number from their previous location. I also get calls from out-of-towners coming to my city for a celebration.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 21

Maybe if you work at home they weren't sure if they had the right number? Was it your "regular" greeting on the answering machine or a business one? I got a separate phone line because I was worrying that people might be hanging up because it did not sound like a business when I answered or the machine answered with our personal home message. Just a thought

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 21

Nowadays, just because a phone number is from another area code, it doesn't mean that person doesn't live locally. I have several clients whose cell phones are from other state area codes. They just keep their cell phone numbers when they moved here. So it very well could have been a local potential client.

Jenniferkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenniferkay Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 21

I get orders all the time from people who want to place an order for a relative in the area.

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 21

Was the area code 706? I've been getting the same rude calls. I told them to e-mail me there request, didn't happen. I'm glad we can let each other know about these trouble makers.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 21

My nephew and wife live here in WA but they had their wedding in Cancun last May. So, they did called from here and order their wedding cake from a baker in Cancun...however, they got the most horrendous cake ever! it was a 3 tier 3 leches cake that was poorly decorated and when they cut it the inside was still frozen thumbsdown.gif ...I told them to talk to the bakery and let them know, but no one returned their calls.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 21

thanks all, I guess the other thing that seemed odd was I asked very nicely, Oh when is your event and sort of stumbled and said- What? I said what date were you looking to have the cake as I already have some weekends that are booked and she very abruptly said, um next weekend.

I know the bakery I worked at used to get random calls that we firgured out were people trying to copy certain designs and see how much we were charging so I am maybe cynical.

I did very promptly get her my info, gave her lots of info about the cake and alternatives and I guess we will see what happens.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 11:44pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

Nowadays, just because a phone number is from another area code, it doesn't mean that person doesn't live locally. I have several clients whose cell phones are from other state area codes. They just keep their cell phone numbers when they moved here. So it very well could have been a local potential client.

Same here, we have a lot of people who use cell phones they brought with them from other areas....They sounded like they didnt want to give out any of their personal information because they were afraid of spamming and other sales calls.

The calls I hate are those who ask me if I take Credit Cards. These are banks fishing to get your business. And I also get a couple of times a year a call from the BBB. They want me to buy a BBB Acreditation. I wonder if consumers know that a BBB Acrediation is paid for?

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 21

loriemoms, I had respect for BBB until I had my business and was told I could buy my way in. No thanks.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:13am
post #12 of 21

I have a local friend whose area code on her cell phone is New York--I asked her about it and her family all share one plan. Her sister in New York opened the plan and they all joined and split up the bill. They're saving $$ --I had never thought about doing that, but hey.. if they all get along and all throw in what's owed, what the heck!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:46am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8yf

loriemoms, I had respect for BBB until I had my business and was told I could buy my way in. No thanks.

I agree! I think its awful!!

Rosie2 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:48pm
post #14 of 21

[quote="loriemoms"]

Quote:

I wonder if consumers know that a BBB Acrediation is paid for?

What??!! what the heck I never knew that!!! and here I am trusting BBB with my heart.... icon_redface.gif what is this world coming to when you can buy 'acreditation' aggghhh icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Gosh, I'm dissapointed...so. how do you know when a business is reputable?? where do you look? customer reviews? those could be phony too!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:25pm
post #15 of 21

I get calls for prices all the time, I don't care if they're figuring out how much I charge in order to charge a similar price to do the cake themselves......my prices are my prices, I'm fine with how much I charge and can back it up with a good product, if they feel they want to charge the same and can back it up then go for it!

I get emails from people all over the US and some even out of the country wanting to know what I charge for a cake, I treat them all like perspective customers...you never know when they might become one. I had a lady call for prices on a wedding cake and after I did a ton of digging she informed me she was making her sister's wedding cake and wanted to know how much the cake she was making would "retail" for. I was a little annoyed for having spent ssooooooo much time with her, but figured hey...it's good customer service. 6 months later she called me back, saying she remembered how incredibly helpful I was even after I knew I wasn't making a dime from her and she ordered her own wedding cake from me. Said there was no way she was making another wedding cake, let alone her own and she wound up spending over $1,000 with me without even having a tasting. She said my customer service spoke volumes about my professionalism and that she had no doubt the cake would be "up to par". She loved her cake and was awesome to work with.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 10:48pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

. 6 months later she called me back, saying she remembered how incredibly helpful I was even after I knew I wasn't making a dime from her and she ordered her own wedding cake from me. Said there was no way she was making another wedding cake, let alone her own and she wound up spending over $1,000 with me without even having a tasting. She said my customer service spoke volumes about my professionalism and that she had no doubt the cake would be "up to par". She loved her cake and was awesome to work with.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Amen!

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 11:16pm
post #17 of 21

[quote="Rosie2"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:

I wonder if consumers know that a BBB Acrediation is paid for?

What??!! what the heck I never knew that!!! and here I am trusting BBB with my heart.... icon_redface.gif what is this world coming to when you can buy 'acreditation' aggghhh icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Gosh, I'm dissapointed...so. how do you know when a business is reputable?? where do you look? customer reviews? those could be phony too!

I don't know if they have a chapter in your area but Angie's list is good. The reviews (good and bad) are all by customers so you know what others think of the business. They have listings in just about every catagory imaginable.

Rosie2 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:03pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

6 months later she called me back, saying she remembered how incredibly helpful I was even after I knew I wasn't making a dime from her and she ordered her own wedding cake from me. Said there was no way she was making another wedding cake, let alone her own and she wound up spending over $1,000 with me without even having a tasting. She said my customer service spoke volumes about my professionalism and that she had no doubt the cake would be "up to par". She loved her cake and was awesome to work with.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
Corteous customer service is priceless and it pays back!! not only did she ordered from you, but I'm sure she will refer you as well!! thumbs_up.gif

Rosie2 Posted 16 Sep 2010 , 6:05pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

I don't know if they have a chapter in your area but Angie's list is good. The reviews (good and bad) are all by customers so you know what others think of the business. They have listings in just about every catagory imaginable.

Ahhh, thank you Herekittykitty--btw, I love your nick thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 17 Sep 2010 , 2:20pm
post #20 of 21

Your welcome.

It isn't free unfortunately but worth it if you need to find a repair person, dentist, florist, blah blah blah...

I really get nervous when I have to just blindly pick someone out of the phone book (or dexonline). Even with asking questions you can't be sure of what you'll get, some lie really well.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 4:35pm
post #21 of 21

I get calls about prices all of the time but yesterday's was just odd. A woman called asking where we were located. I told her where we were but that we were closed right now and no one is at that location right now. She started asking about fillings and wanted a sheet cake. I explained that a sheet cake did not have fillings, etc. She told me where she was located and how far was she from our shop. Then she started in on fillings and sheet cakes. She just wanted a square cake. I told her we could do that. I asked her how many she wanted to serve. She just wanted a square cake. I finally stated that if she would tell me how many people she wanted to serve, I could better give her the information she needs. She said she would have to find out and hung up.

It was just odd, one of the oddest I've had.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%