Black Mmf, Please Help!

Decorating By Txanjel Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 1:29am by Holly12183

Txanjel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Txanjel Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:56am
post #1 of 15

Hello! I am trying to color my MMF black. When I get it black and try to roll it out, it is a mess!!! It isn't smooth at all, it is like crumbly. If I roll out it without any color in, the fondant is great. Can anyone please tell me how to get the fondant black with out ruining it? Thank you in advance!

14 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:04am
post #2 of 15

fondant is that way because it takes SO much coloring to get it black. However.. I have achieved these dark colors using MMF.

Add a little more water.. Knead it and then microwave the MMF for about 15 seconds. It will be hot. Then knead it somemore. Then into the microwave a second time if need. If not then let it cool slightly then start rolling out and covering.

Personally I Microwave fondant everytime before I use it.

Some people add crisco to MMF.. I tried it and it sucked. (just my opinion) It wouldnt take color after I added crisco, and it had shiny spots in it. gross.

edited to add: Also buy Americolor SUPER BLACK. It only takes a small amount to achieve that intense black color.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:05am
post #3 of 15

I will happily make fondant and add any color EXCEPT black and red. I buy those two colors because I have yet to successfully make a good red or black at home. I know that doesn't help you right now, but if you have access to a store that carries it, I'd buy the black.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:07am
post #4 of 15

Black is difficult. You could try microwaving it a bit, but it's a temporary fix and it will return to crumbly fast, so if you're trying to cover an entire cake it probably won't work. Many people buy black fondant for this reason. If it's not working for you, is there any chance that you could just paint or airbrush your color on?

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:10am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Black is difficult. You could try microwaving it a bit, but it's a temporary fix and it will return to crumbly fast, so if you're trying to cover an entire cake it probably won't work. Many people buy black fondant for this reason. If it's not working for you, is there any chance that you could just paint or airbrush your color on?

Oh no, did you add water to your before microwaving it? It prevents it from returning to crumbly.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:34am
post #6 of 15

Black was the first color I ever made. I get black ok and like it better than some bought. I have found to be patient with these colors> I color and let rest over night, mine always darkens. (I have added cocoa/ wPS, and used colored MM's.)I dont over add color, or over work the fondant. To textureize, i do use crisco, mostly on my hands. Also I stopped refrigerating my fondant, I keep at room temp. I added corn syrup once,,,, it changed the texture and color of the batch. I didn't like it. I use CS to work the MFF not PS, I find it better for me. I suppose it depends on what works, depends on the recipe used as well. I use MM and PS, micro method.
Blessings~

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:48am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

Oh no, did you add water to your before microwaving it? It prevents it from returning to crumbly.

Nope. I didn't think it needed anymore liquid that time because it was colored with liquid! But it would have been worth a try... crumbly = too dry. Nuking it worked just fine because it was only being used on small sculpted pieces.

eve81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve81 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 10:52am
post #8 of 15

I make chocolate MMF and add a little black colouring. Still need to microwave though before I use it and use it quickly!

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:20pm
post #9 of 15

I make mmf black by putting some melted chocolate in with the marshmallows first. Then, add some black. Stir and add with the powdered sugar. Knead it and then, if I need anymore black, I'll add more coloring.

Hope that helps in the future!

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:35pm
post #10 of 15

when i require large black mmf i mix up a batch of choc.mmf. i add cocoa into the mm when they are finnished melting. then add black gel coloring. that way it takes less black gel to make it darker and the texture is not sacrificed! good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:42pm
post #11 of 15

I would definitely use chocolate/cocoa with your PS. It tastes so much better too! I've been using the Hersey's dark cocoa and also add your black when Marshmallows are melted. Works so much better than trying to add all that color to white fondant.

Txanjel Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:43pm
post #12 of 15

Thank you all for your help! I am trying to cover a 12" square cake. I think that I better go and try to find some black fondant at the cake supply store. This cake has to be ready by 6 o'clock this evening.

Thanks again!

Holly12183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holly12183 Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 1:45pm
post #13 of 15

Here is my recipie for black MMF and I LOVE IT...I've never ever had a problem with it being dry or cracking. icon_smile.gif

6 oz. of semi sweet chocolate chips (about half of a bag)
1 bag of mini marshmallows
3 tbsp. of clear Karo syrup
3 tbsp. water
1 1lb. bag of powdered sugar
gel black food coloring
Crisco
Instructions:
Put your marshmallows in a microwave safe bowl, add the water, and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir mixture, and microwave for another minute. When marshmallows come out they will be HOT, stir again, scraping the sides with a scraper. Immerdiately add your chocolate chips, and stir until the chips are completely melted. Add your karo syrup and stir again this time with a butter knife, making sure that all of your syrup is incorporated. Add a good amount of black gel food coloring, and stir again with your knife, making sure that you scrape around the edges. Once your mixture is the blackest black that you can get, (I added about 1-2 tsp. of the gel coloring) then add about half of your bag of powdered sugar, and stir until the mixture is thick, with your knife. Grease your hands liberally with Crisco and add the rest of the powdered sugar* to the bowl. Knead your fondant until all of the powdered sugar is gone. Store for up to a month wrapped in plastic wrap, sealed in a gallon Ziploc, and stored in an airtight container.

Txanjel Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 2:01pm
post #14 of 15

Here is my recipie for black MMF and I LOVE IT...I've never ever had a problem with it being dry or cracking

With this recipe do I need to let it rest, or can I use it right away?

Holly12183 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holly12183 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:29am
post #15 of 15

I've used it right away, and let it rest. Either way it worked fine for me. I did have to soften it up a little bit in the microwave once just because I didn't take it out of the fridge early enough icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%