I Need Help, Please!!!for Mmf Seashell,seahorse Decorations

Decorating By soledad Updated 10 Sep 2010 , 3:14pm by sweettreat101

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 3:39am
post #1 of 10

Hello, everybody!!! I really need your help icon_cry.gif Where I am now, is not easy to buy fondant,so I will be making MMF for cake decorations with sea motifs.(seashells, seahorse,sea star etc.) My friend is making the wedding cake for her son and I offered to make the decorations for the cake.
I am all set with the molds, and I have been practicing, But the pieces are not hardening, I do not know why? icon_sad.gif I would also need to know... when do you put the "SUPER PEARL DUST" on the decoration? Do you put it immediately or do you wait until it dries?
Do you use the "DUST"with liquid or dry? icon_confused.gif I will try to attach the picture of the cake they have chosen
Thank you in advance! icon_smile.gif
CIAO

9 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 4:40am
post #2 of 10

if you are using MMF by itself. It will take atleast a week to harden. If you add tylose to it, it wont take as long. You could also make gumpaste instead of MMF.

pearl dust. You apply the pearl dust on after the piece is dry. (well, that is what I do) You can simply just use a paint brush and dust them. Sheens are meant to be light dustings. If you are wanting intense color you would then use luster dust and vodka or everclear and then paint the colors on that way.

valerieInga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieInga Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:26am
post #3 of 10

instead of MMF, you could use white chocolate. Either the candy melts or real white chocolate, but you have to watch it closely because it burns easy. I do melt the candy melts in the microwave, do only about 30 seconds at a time and stir between. Make sure no water gets in or it seizes up and is no good. If you have the clear plastic kind of molds all you need is a clean dry mold, pour in the melted choc. and freeze for about 20 minutes, turn them over and they should fall out pretty easy or just need a tap if they are totally dry. I also brush different colours of luster dust on them after they are dry. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

soledad Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 5:44am
post #4 of 10

Tesso, thank you! I have tylose, the wedding in on Oct 2nd so I better start soon! I also , just looked into a gumpaste recipe here on CC, just in case. It looks easy icon_surprised.gif ! so, I could try to make it, as you suggested. It would be my first time!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 11:48am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by valerieInga

instead of MMF, you could use white chocolate. Either the candy melts or real white chocolate, but you have to watch it closely because it burns easy. I do melt the candy melts in the microwave, do only about 30 seconds at a time and stir between. Make sure no water gets in or it seizes up and is no good. If you have the clear plastic kind of molds all you need is a clean dry mold, pour in the melted choc. and freeze for about 20 minutes, turn them over and they should fall out pretty easy or just need a tap if they are totally dry. I also brush different colours of luster dust on them after they are dry. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

I was going to suggest that too. It's easy and comes out looking great.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:28pm
post #6 of 10

I use chocolate ALL the time, works GREAT! Pearl them when they come out of the mold.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 10

I make chocolate shells frequently. They're quick and easy to do, and you can marble different colors together to get a very realistic look. (You can do that with fondant/gumpaste, too, but this is so much faster and easier because there's no kneading.) And they're edible because there's no tylose in them.
But if the bride and groom want fondant, you gotta give 'em fondant.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 9 Sep 2010 , 12:56pm
post #8 of 10

Chocolate here too for shells. It's much easier to use and IMHO it is easier to dust and make realistic. I paint the chocolate inside the mold, I don't fill it. Makes it actually look like a shell.

soledad Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:53am
post #9 of 10

Thank you everyone!!! icon_smile.gif I am in a small town in Honduras (visiting)and I do not think I can find white chocolate here icon_sad.gif Tomorrow I will be going to a larger city, which is an hour away. I know there is a Wilton supplier there.
It sounds much easier with chocolate! but doesn't the heat melt the chocolate.The wedding will be outdoors at a beach.
I have already practice with the plastic molds and MMf but it never hardened, Tesso reminded me to use Tylose icon_redface.gif
I have another question...can you make gumpaste with a hand mixer? I do not have my Kitchen Aid mixer here icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
Thank you so much, ladies!! icon_smile.gif
CIAO

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 3:14pm
post #10 of 10

Mix in some Tylose. Make your decorations and place them in the oven with the oven light on (oven turned off of course). This will help them dry faster. I have made decorations the night before and this method has worked well for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%