Canned Pumpkin Shortage?...

Decorating By hsmomma Updated 2 Nov 2010 , 6:40pm by Irish245

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:29am
post #1 of 43

I know last year there was a shortage of canned pumpkin because of the weather. This year it appears to be the same issue. I can't find it anywhere on the shelves in town and am wondering if this is true for everyone else. I have a few weddings coming up with Pumpkin spice cake. I see I can order an organic canned pumpkin on amazon but they are all out of the regular (Libby) brand.
Anyone else finding it difficult to locate or is it just still too early in the season? Anybody use the Farmers Market Organic brand that amazon sells?

42 replies
AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:33am
post #2 of 43

It is horrible, isn't it? I stocked up in June because I didn't want to be short in the fall. There was also a new supermarket that opened by me and I nearly cleaned them out of their brand (they didn't have Libby). I've never tried the organic before, but I'm sure it is more expensive. You may have to levy a pumpkin "upcharge" to cover the costs.

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:44am
post #3 of 43

I ran into the same problem at my local (and only) grocery store recently. The grocery manager said that it was a "seasonal" item and they only stocked it around the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. I ended up driving to the next town (15 miles away) to get some. Guess this November I'll be stocking up on it!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 12:52am
post #4 of 43

I , too had the same problem at the holidays last yr. Didn,t know it would be a problem this year. This was a the walmart close by. I will be on the look out as of now.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:00am
post #5 of 43

I stocked up last year, still have 3 or 4 cans. Will be stocking up again this year. We love pumpkin bread all year around at home and will be making pies, cakes etc with most of the stash, I'm sure.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:08am
post #6 of 43

I can't find it, either, in Dayton, Ohio at three local grocery stores. The WalMart manager said something about an early frost destroyed the pumpkin crop, so now there's a big shortage.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:11am
post #7 of 43

One may still get lucky at the drug stores and convenience stores. I was pleasantly surprised to find some a few weeks ago.

LOL! Wal~Mart pointed to their abundance of sweet potato FILLING and said, "use that instead". I know. I know. It's similar (I actually prefer sweet potato pie over pumpkin) but it ain't the SAME. I left. Found it at several other much smaller stores. So, I scarfed up as much as my pocket change would allow.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:34am
post #8 of 43

It's been too wet...I guess the majority of pumpkins grown for Libby brand are in Illinois and there's been to much rain which is causing the pumpkins to rot. Most organic pumpkins, however, are grown in the northwest and their weather has been excellent. I guess if it's the difference between paying a few cents more for organic pumpkin or having no pumpkin at all, I'll pay for the extra. I can't be without my pumpkin cookies for the fall!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:38am
post #9 of 43

I haven't looked for the cans in my area yet, but i do know that in our area there are at least two pumpkin patches that won't be open this year. Because of the heat, excessive rain, and some late frost earlier this year they lost over 90% of their crop. I imagine with some of the extreme weather we've had all over this year many lost their crop.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:41am
post #10 of 43

Now you have me wondering...my pumpkin stash is all used up...and I cannot go through the holidays without pumpkin roll..and can't have Thanksgiving without pumpkin twinkie dessert we have come to love!! Will start looking and stocking up!!

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:46am
post #11 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRAE33

Now you have me wondering...my pumpkin stash is all used up...and I cannot go through the holidays without pumpkin roll..and can't have Thanksgiving without pumpkin twinkie dessert we have come to love!! Will start looking and stocking up!!

Pumpkin Twinkie Dessert? icon_confused.gif

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:04am
post #12 of 43

I've had the same problem. We use a lot of pumpkin - all year long and several grocery stores have told us there's a shortage. Sweet potato is very similar and most people can't tell a difference by the time you add your spices.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:14am
post #13 of 43

I can't very well sell a pumpkin spice cake using sweet potato. I'm afraid others may think the same thing I do when I hear sweet potato cake (like a potato cake 'cept use sweet potatoes.) and not want it.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:26am
post #14 of 43

our local pumpkin patch had some very bad flooding, so they said they are short on giant pumpkins, and the earlier you come in the season, the more likely you are to get one of the few big ones left.....I'll have to start looking now as well. And start stocking up in January next year icon_smile.gif

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 3:56am
post #15 of 43
Quote:
Quote:

Pumpkin Twinkie Dessert?

Yeah, I came across the recipe a few years ago. You slice the twinkies in half and lay them in the bottom of the pan for the "crust" then you have layers with cream cheese, pumpkin, cool whip...it's good. And you know, we do so much baking around the holidays, and on thanksgiving I am in the kitchen all day, i am happy to have a dessert that requires no baking..besides, I love twinkies icon_smile.gif

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 4:19am
post #16 of 43

I just used my last can a couple of weeks ago thinking that I could just run out and buy more... NOPE!!!! The lady at Walmart said the pumpkin crops were bad and now they are not stocking the canned pumpkin. She did make it sound as though they might later. If they do, I'm stocking up!!

I, too, would like to know about the Pumpkin Twinkie. icon_biggrin.gif

MKinPA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKinPA Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 4:26am
post #17 of 43

I've had the same problem since last fall so I went on Libbys.com 4 days ago and they actually have a live chat option. I was able to "chat" with a Libby's employee that confirmed due to weather issues last fall they lost a lot of pumpkins. She said they expect to have most stores in most states stocked with Libby's pumpkin before the end of September. I asked if I could but several cases of cans from them directly and she said no, they do not sell to the public.
She did give me the name of a couple of sites on the internet that will search hard to find products for you and I tried both of them and Libby's pumpkin was on backorder with them also.
I've gotten at least 11 orders for pumpkin rolls right now and I cannot guarantee my customers I will have them.
I did however plant pumpkins in my garden this summer in case I couldn't get Libby's!

Hope this info helps you.

angelwings1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelwings1 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 4:49am
post #18 of 43

I was intrugued by the twinkie dessert, also. I googled and found this:

http://www.food.com/recipe/layered-pumpkin-dessert-194913

I believe I'm going to have to try this! =)

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:36pm
post #19 of 43

Sounds like a trifle to me. Personally, I would use gingerbread rather than twinkies, a little less sweet but still yummy !!!! Might be on the menu this thanksgiving!!

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 1:43pm
post #20 of 43

Thanks everyone for your responses! I decided I can't wait to see if the grocery stores get stocked as I have a wedding in just a couple of weeks that has asked for Pumpkin Spice Cake. So, I ordered "Farmers Market Organic Pumpkin" online on Amazon (they too are out of Libby's). The reviews of the product were good as far as taste, consistency etc. But, the reviews said many of the cans come dented. I will have to see when mine arrives.
I will probably do a trial bake at the beginning of next week to see if there is a difference in the final product. If it is different, I will call the bride to come pick up a sample to make sure she is satisfied with it.
I love to make the pumpkin cake for my Sept. October and Nov. tastings but don't think I'm going to this year if it does end up being short. I only ordered a 12 pack through amazon...which won't last long at all. But, I wanted to make sure it would work before I ordered more.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 2:22pm
post #21 of 43

Whole Foods and other stores that sell organic pumpkin don't seem to be suffering from a pumpkin shortage, but the Libby's brand is nowhere to be found.

MKinPA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKinPA Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:07am
post #22 of 43

I found gallon size cans of LIbby's pumpkin at Shop N Save stores this week, they are $9.99 each and if you are using for pumpkin pies, it makes 8 pies.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 4:42am
post #23 of 43

So use a real pumpkin, and get a recipe for using raw pumpkin

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 5:11am
post #24 of 43

I would use your OWN pumpkin...learn how to bake it and make it..it's really not that hard..and there are a lot of pumpkins out there. Give it a try...and you would be surprised how easy it is...yet it DOES take a little more time..

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 5:36am
post #25 of 43
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 6:14am
post #26 of 43

i,ve been lucky the past couple of weeks. I have found mine at Harris Teeters. Bought about 10 cans at several places.

Michelle84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle84 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 8:47am
post #27 of 43

It's so strange hearing all the different 'sweet' pumpkin dishes people from overseas enjoy. In Australia pumpkin is a vegetable that you boil or roast and serve right alongside your potatos and meat with gravy! I know my Mum has eaten pumpkin scones as a young girl but it's not commonly used as a sweet food here.

beenie51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenie51 Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 10:42am
post #28 of 43

Last year was only able to find tge pumpkin with sugar and spices added and then only just before thanksgiving. After thanksgiving unable to find any pumkin at all.
Yest while at the local Walmart found both the pre mixed and the straight pumkin in cans. I bought 1 lg and 1 sm can. I hope that is enough. From what I am reading there could be another shortage.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 11:29am
post #29 of 43

Libby's (Nestle's) told me the shortage is over; and I have seen pumpkin in just about every food store I have visited in the past few weeks.

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 31 Oct 2010 , 2:28pm
post #30 of 43

I used the pumpkin pie filling in my previous recipe, but this time tried just regular canned pumpkin. I am def. going back to the pie filling it made a better tasting and moister cake. What do most of you guys use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%