Rolling Out Fondant ...

Decorating By tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Updated 6 Sep 2010 , 12:37am by BlakesCakes

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 5

on vinyl and then flipping the whole thing over on the cake is ok ... but what I notice is because I grease the vinyl with crisco when I flip it and then start to smooth it around the cake, when it comes to using the fondant smoother it drags and does not move around the cake in a smooth fluid movement ... icon_cry.gif
Any suggestions ???

4 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 5

When I smooth the fondant initially, I use my hands. That helps to work off some of that crisco. Then a little while later (like 2-3 minutes) I use the fondant smoother and it seems to work better.

Or you could just switch to powdered sugar to roll out fondant rather than crisco. Whatever works best for you really.

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 5

Hey Rose_N_Crantz
That is true ... If I went back after a few moments I shoule be good to go ... Probably the texture would firm up/dry out a little more !!!
I will give it a shot !!!

Thank you,
TSEG

sharlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharlanet Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 5

you could also sprinkle a little cornstarch on it or dip your smoother or hands in cornstarch before you try to smooth it out.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 12:37am
post #5 of 5

I roll on vinyl with a smear of crisco, but I never flip the fondant onto the cake, turning the "backside" of the rolled piece into the topside.

I want the smooth "top" of the fondant that I rolled on to be the visible surface of the cake (this is how I was taught 5 years ago and after experimenting, I continue to prefer the results). Doing it this way, I can immediately use the fondant smoother(s) easily.

I pick up the fondant piece on my long vinyl Wilton rolling pin and then drape it over the cake. If I have a piece wider than 18-20 inches, I use a piece of pvc pipe that I had cut at the hardware store. I think it's about 2.5 ft. across.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%