Does This Email Sound Fishy To You?

Business By Irish245 Updated 8 Sep 2010 , 2:43pm by cakeythings1961

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 2:41am
post #1 of 25

Did anyone else get an email like this? It sounds a bit fishy to me....
-----------------------------
Hello,

I just got your contactt email now and i will like to place an order for wedding and birthday cake.
Kindly send me your brochure by email if you have one or send me different photos of wedding and birthday cakes.
Get back to me soon and also advice me if you accept Visa and Master Credit cards for payments.
----------------------------------------
signed with a very common name......last name is a name of a color (brown, black, white, etc. we know are used as last names) and not capitalized

24 replies
Beansss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beansss Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 2:44am
post #2 of 25

that screams scam all over it

Irish245 Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 2:56am
post #3 of 25

I thought so too! Wondered if anyone else got it.

mimi4bye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimi4bye Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 2:58am
post #4 of 25

I wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole. SCAM...Poor grammar is always a dead give away. icon_lol.gif

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 3:07am
post #5 of 25

ya definite scam!

Good call icon_smile.gif

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 25

just wondering, for the people that replied scam, what type of scam would it be if all they are asking for is photos and info?

motherofgrace Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 25

most scammers will ask about credit cards, and it gets into this whole big "oh I over paid, can you pay this muc hto this person" ect.

But we could always be wrong

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:44pm
post #8 of 25

If you look at the wording of the email, it's asking to place an order for "wedding and birthday cake". How many people order both a wedding and a birthday cake at the same time?

The sender of this email probably indexed a number of different small business web sites and populated a database with the key items they sell, then sent out mass emails with the key items plugged in. Notice how you can take out the two "wedding and birthday cake" phrases from the email and pop in just about any other product and it would still work.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcakesmom

just wondering, for the people that replied scam, what type of scam would it be if all they are asking for is photos and info?

You send them pictures, they reply that they would like to order a cake from you and have it shipped. When you say that's fine, they say they're going to overpay you and then you can pay the shippers out of the difference, plus keep a little extra for your trouble (usually). Then they send you a check that's no good, or use a stolen credit card number to pay you. Thinking the payment is good, you pay the shippers as agreed...and that's the money the scammer makes.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:16pm
post #10 of 25

Iris245, this is the check scam explanation:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/12/checkoverpayment.shtm

Just like Texas_Rose said, they would send you an overpayment, then ask for money back, then their check bounces, but you're already out of your money that you've sent back to them.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:39pm
post #11 of 25

There has been other posts regarding this and other scams.
Do NOT reply to them!!!

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:44pm
post #12 of 25

I agree...don't reply.

dinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinascakes Posted 7 Sep 2010 , 11:52pm
post #13 of 25

Yup, its a scam! That happened to me on some items I listed in craigslist. The same thing that everyone is saying. They send you a fake check and tell you to pay the shipping company. Really crazy that this goes on, BUT IT DOES!!

jennbrownrigg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbrownrigg Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 12:38am
post #14 of 25

Yeah, I got a weird email this week too. The strange thing is it was to my personal email, not my business email. Asking for a 'bridall shower' cake for my daughter in March 2012! Then she sends pics of her daughter's 'race car' (looks like a demo derby car to me) that she wants recreated in cake. I don't know if it's a scam or not, I did reply but my initial reaction was that it was wierd. Spelling was all wrong, & really, planning the bridal shower for 2012 already and a car cake?? I might be wrong but it just struck me as odd. We'll see what kind of response I get.

thesweetlifestore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thesweetlifestore Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:14am
post #15 of 25

i was lol when i read the reply cuz i realized i wonder if people think my emails r scams cuz i cant spell to save my life wellll maybe to save my life i never use periods my sentences go on and on my friends say i write the way i talk hmmmmm i think now they wer insulting me lol and i never capitalize my name lol on another note i actually hav clients always claiming to want mor then one cake at the begining thinking they will get a discount i learned that one the hard way lol as far as payment i never wld agree to pay shipping on anything that jus screams weird bigtime icon_smile.gif)))

motherofgrace Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:30am
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesweetlifestore

i was lol when i read the reply cuz i realized i wonder if people think my emails r scams cuz i cant spell to save my life wellll maybe to save my life i never use periods my sentences go on and on my friends say i write the way i talk hmmmmm i think now they wer insulting me lol and i never capitalize my name lol on another note i actually hav clients always claiming to want mor then one cake at the begining thinking they will get a discount i learned that one the hard way lol as far as payment i never wld agree to pay shipping on anything that jus screams weird bigtime icon_smile.gif)))

This is a joke right??

Beautiful cakes, but you don't write like that to customers do you?

thesweetlifestore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thesweetlifestore Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:47am
post #17 of 25

Hi, I thouht about it and I guess I do and I don't I usually perfer to call them if they don't leave a # on the email I answer short and sweet if I use my blackberry it does spell check for me but on my computer which I hate to b on it doesn't or I guess I don't use it to be exact I am horrible with technology hate it and usually apologize to them lol and actually cakecentral has helped me get a little over my fear cuz I luv this site so much.... I was jus trying to say sometimes bad grammar is jus bad grammar and I'm guilty of it bigtime icon_smile.gif)))

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:49am
post #18 of 25

lol. thesweetlifestore... I am a stickler for grammar, good spelling and all that, but your post is so charming I might want to start writing like that!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:04am
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

This is a joke right??

I thought the same thing...if I was buying something from a vendor who wrote like that, I would probably find another vendor. This is especially true for products where attention to detail is required.

There are many resources available for people who want to improve their writing skills, check your local community college or municipal/county adult education courses.

At the very least, look at every email or forum post as an opportunity to practice your English composition skills. Improving your written communication skills pays dividends in the business world.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:09am
post #20 of 25

I'm not in the food industry; but I get e-mails like this in my business. I'll get one, then a little while (could be several weeks) later, I'll get another almost identical e-mail with a different person's name on it. There's never a phone number to call them back, or an address, or any indication of where they're from (city, state, or country). Even the subject heading is "odd". I do not reply back to them. For my business, I can tell it's a scam because of the generality of their inquiry (having nothing to do with the spelling/grammar). I just *know* that anyone interested in the company would not ask the kinds of questions they are asking. The OP's e-mail does indeed sound questionable. Best of luck & be careful everyone!

motherofgrace Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:21am
post #21 of 25

ok I didn't mean to sound mean!!!

I just mean for YOUR benefit that I hope you can work on it.

have you maybe tried (again not to be mean) a kids program?? To help with that kind of thing?

Irish245 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:55am
post #22 of 25

OH yeah, I figured from the minute I got it that it was a scam. In fact, when I got it on my blackberry, I said to my husband, "listen to this ....this is what a scam sounds like"......

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 1:31pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesweetlifestore

Hi, I thouht about it and I guess I do and I don't I usually perfer to call them if they don't leave a # on the email I answer short and sweet if I use my blackberry it does spell check for me but on my computer which I hate to b on it doesn't or I guess I don't use it to be exact I am horrible with technology hate it and usually apologize to them lol and actually cakecentral has helped me get a little over my fear cuz I luv this site so much.... I was jus trying to say sometimes bad grammar is jus bad grammar and I'm guilty of it bigtime icon_smile.gif)))

I see you know how to find the period on your blackberry (you used ellipses) so I think you should definitely start using periods in your communication with customers. Don't be lazy. icon_cool.gif It's professional and not a chat with your girlfriend, right?

Text abbreviations drive me insane, especially if you are typing on a full keyboard on a computer. Of course, I understand abbreviating on a phone keyboard, but I don't understand you saying you aren't good with technology when you can post to forums on your blackberry, etc. icon_wink.gif

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:15pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi4bye

I wouldn't touch that with a 10 ft pole. SCAM...Poor grammar is always a dead give away. icon_lol.gif

I agree!

cakeythings1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeythings1961 Posted 8 Sep 2010 , 2:43pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sweetheart-

This is a joke right??

I thought the same thing...if I was buying something from a vendor who wrote like that, I would probably find another vendor. This is especially true for products where attention to detail is required.

There are many resources available for people who want to improve their writing skills, check your local community college or municipal/county adult education courses.

At the very least, look at every email or forum post as an opportunity to practice your English composition skills. Improving your written communication skills pays dividends in the business world.

I have to agree. I try not to be a grammar snob, and everybody makes occasional typos, but poor grammar, usage, spelling & punctuation in business communications give the impression of being careless, at best. I'd be afraid that the message on my cake would be misspelled or a deadline would be missed.

I'm always correcting my kids' grammar & spelling, and they roll their eyes, but someday they'll thank me!!

The wording of the email tells you this is definitely a scam.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%