Homemade Fondant Vs Store Bought?

Decorating By SSGirly Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 11:13pm by ycknits

SSGirly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSGirly Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 9

Just wondering.. I'm starting to become increasingly unhappy with my satin ice.

How do you like what you are using?

8 replies
ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 9

I make my own MMF using Edna's recipe at designmeacake.com, and love it. I've had no problem at all with consistency (repeatable results). I usually make three batches, one at a time, back to back so that I have enough on hand to make several cakes. I tried doubling the batch, but stalled out my KitchenAid Pro 600, so I'll never do that again! I much prefer my own homemade MMF to any that I've purchased.

TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 9:46pm
post #3 of 9

I make my own. I use Michelle Foster's Fondant recipe (Not an option on the poll). I have not had luck with Marshmallow Fondant. I found it to be too soft, but I know many people love it. If I purchase fondant (usually just intense colors like black or red) I buy Fondarific or Duff's (same)

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 9

I ran out of wnough mmf last night and mixed wilton in with my home made to get more, and did that ever roll out nicely!!! I think I may mix the two again for a big rolled out piece like my jersey cake....real nice to handle large sheet...

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 9

I've used MMF and Michele Foster's homemade fondants and Satin Ice and FondX commercial. Homemade fondant is just too much trouble for the amount I use. I like both FondX and Satin Ice (although it has sort of a strange taste -somewhere between almond extract and chemicals), but just recently I came across one called Massa Ticino by a Swiss company named Carma that's perfect for me, because it has a version that's specially formulated for tropical climates. I can't say enough good things about it!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:31pm
post #6 of 9

I find using Satin Ice and Wilton mixed together works the best and actually tastes good. Not worth the hassle of making the MMF.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 9

MMf except for black or red which I usually buy fondarific.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 9

I must say if you can get black cocoa powder......that works to make black really well...I add it when I add sugar and then it only needs a wee bit of black color....it works great...and smells soooooo good

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 11:13pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the black cocoa idea! I can't wait to try this out :>)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%