Help! Covering Football Today!!!

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 4 Sep 2010 , 1:13am by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 7

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif omg...I'm just starting and I'm already freaking out about this football.

I used the football pan from wilton and I like the way it turned out. I have a small board underneath that that is shaped like a football...good or bad I dunno?

I rolled out my fondant and the moment it gets to the sides of the point it starts tearing! how am I suppose to get the fondant to wrap around this thing!!!?? and then when I went to go start smoothing just to see I realized I don't even know how to get it to wrap around each point of the balls!!!!

am I wrapping this thing wrong?? HALP!?

6 replies
Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 7

StepOnmi I sent you a privat message about this.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 7

Maybe you should try putting the fondant on in 2 pieces. One for the top half and one for the bottom.
I made a football cake but used crusting buttercream. I was able to take a papertowel and press on the football once it crusted really well. It left an imprint that kind of looked like the leather on the football. I did the seams in fondant.

step0nmi Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

Maybe you should try putting the fondant on in 2 pieces. One for the top half and one for the bottom.
I made a football cake but used crusting buttercream. I was able to take a papertowel and press on the football once it crusted really well. It left an imprint that kind of looked like the leather on the football. I did the seams in fondant.

this is actually a good idea...but I have a board underneath icon_confused.gif i have to put it at an angle too...hmmmm

step0nmi Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 7

i'm now starting to think i don't have a big enough board underneath....I didn't want to compromise the integrity of the shape...but it will be put on top at an angel so maybe people won't see.

Thanks for the tip msulli10! that sounds like a good idea too! icon_biggrin.gif

Babs....THANK YOU! That helped! icon_wink.gif

step0nmi Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 7

btw, I hate new shapes to cover with fondant grrrr icon_lol.gif

step0nmi Posted 4 Sep 2010 , 1:13am
post #7 of 7

I DID IT! I DID IT! Thanks to you all for your help! icon_lol.gif I know I have plenty of time but I'm sooo relieved I did it tonight...and without my husband icon_wink.gif ha haaa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%