Is This Tacky?

Business By MandyCakez Updated 6 Sep 2010 , 7:49pm by PieceofCakeAZ

MandyCakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyCakez Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 20

I'm trying to promote the heck out of my new business.I've made mini cakes for two friends and they have spread the word like crazy about my cakes which led to a few orders.I was thinking of holding a contest on my FB page where whoever refers the most people will win a customized cake.Is this tacky?I've seen people do it with photography pages and when i was a digi designer i've done it with my graphic kits and it was a huge hit...but with a cake it seems...i dunno.....weird?

19 replies
cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:22pm
post #2 of 20

Not weird at all... But in order for a referral to be real they have to order, not just call for info. If the referral doesn't result in an order, it doesn't count, KWIM?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 20

Please know I'm not trying to stir up the pot, but you state you are in Pitt. which is where my sister lives... I'm just wanting to make sure your business is legit before you start promoting it. There are regulations (if you are baking out of your home) in all the Townships surrounding Pitt proper. Please make sure you have your ducks in a row if they are not already. Again, I'm not trying to make trouble, I just know a bit about how things work around there and would not want you to get into any kind of trouble if you did not know this beforehand.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 20

I work full time, and to promote I took in cakes to work to share with everyone and everytime I make a cake for someone I post it on my facebook , and I take a photo and pin it on my wall at work, now since I only try to do 1 or two cakes a week, I find my self turning down orders.
Yes your idea will work **I agree only orders count as a referral...have fun

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 20

A dress shoppe from my hometown did that with FB fans, and they're constantly having contests via FB.

I think it's a great idea!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

Not weird at all... But in order for a referral to be real they have to order, not just call for info. If the referral doesn't result in an order, it doesn't count, KWIM?

So true!!!! The referral needs to place an order, pick it up, AND pay for it!

Once, I had a customer rattle off a list of referrals alphabetically from the phone book!!! Anyone could do that... it helps if they personally know the referral and know that the person has a true interest in your products.

Therefore, it would be best (and fair) to offer a referral coupon for $XX.00 amount of dollars off their next order for each referral that becomes a paying customer, and they can earn as many coupons as they wish, rather than only one person winning one prize for referring the most. All good referrals should count, and if you appreciate them, you should hand out those referral coupons to everyone that earns them since they are participating to promote your business.

MandyCakez Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Please know I'm not trying to stir up the pot, but you state you are in Pitt. which is where my sister lives... I'm just wanting to make sure your business is legit before you start promoting it. There are regulations (if you are baking out of your home) in all the Townships surrounding Pitt proper. Please make sure you have your ducks in a row if they are not already. Again, I'm not trying to make trouble, I just know a bit about how things work around there and would not want you to get into any kind of trouble if you did not know this beforehand.

Yes,My business is legit.I've owned a restaurant before so i know all the grief it can cause if EVERYTHING is not done the proper and LEGAL way.I didn't start promoting until it was.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarandSpiceCakery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Yes,My business is legit.I've owned a restaurant before so i know all the grief it can cause if EVERYTHING is not done the proper and LEGAL way.I didn't start promoting until it was.

WONDERFUL for you, then! Again, I did not want to stir up any kind of trouble by asking, but there are so many on CC who don't realize they cannot just bake from home everywhere in the country. There was "pie for charity" controversy near you just recently... the pie ladies prevailed in the end, but it just goes to show Big Brother is Watching.

Best of luck with your business!

MandyCakez Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarandSpiceCakery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

WONDERFUL for you, then! Again, I did not want to stir up any kind of trouble by asking, but there are so many on CC who don't realize they cannot just bake from home everywhere in the country. There was "pie for charity" controversy near you just recently... the pie ladies prevailed in the end, but it just goes to show Big Brother is Watching.

Best of luck with your business!

Thanks...My husband is a chef and he was all over me on what i had to do first before saying i have a business. icon_biggrin.gif

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 7:53pm
post #10 of 20

Another popular way thing to do is "tweet" a special (using Twitter). Give your twitter name out and tell followers you will be occasionally (or frequent) be announcing give-aways. It also is a great way to announce specials, or seasonal items and gets the customers following you.

Pacific Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pacific Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:03pm
post #11 of 20

I think that this is a great idea. Good luck with it.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 9:37pm
post #12 of 20

Since you were already in a food business, these questions may seem redundant, but -

Have you set a dollar limit on that custom cake prize? I'd hate to see someone come along and request a life-sized C3PO or something huge like that. I wouldn't go with a number of servings, because they might want a cake with whipped ganache instead of frosting, which costs a whole lot more.

Suggestion - you might want to add that the winner can apply the dollar equivalent of the prize to a larger cake. Nothing like a big cake at a discount, right?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 5 Sep 2010 , 11:00pm
post #13 of 20

It's actually against Facebook rules to run any type of contest that requires someone to "like" your page to enter. They are also have lots of other rules.

Here are some details:

http://www.blastmedia.com/blog/2010/08/only-you-can-prevent-illegal-facebook-contests-meet-wildfire-app/

You must use a managed and approved application or you could risk your page being shut down and losing all of your fans/likers.

I personally find "begging for facebook fans" to be tacky (assuming you are talking about referring people just to "like" your page, not to order... I am totally cool with referral incentives to paying customers). Against Facebook rules, many people run something like "have your referral post on the wall who referred them and you will be entered to win a cake", and then when a real potential customer finds your Facebook page, instead of finding something engaging on your wall they see 3 pages of "referred by Karen Wilson""referred by Mike Smith", etc. IMO that looks really tacky. But again, people do it all of the time so many must disagree.

Personally I want facebook fans that want to be fans, not people trying to help a friend win a dozen cupcakes who will unlike my page at the first chance they get because they have no interest or reason to be there. I should also note that we do 90% wedding cakes so my perspective of who I want liking our page is based on that.

Best of luck with whatever you decide but I would recommend using following Facebook rules if you do run a promotion.

Again, most of the above is regarding the recent trend of "whoever refers the most people to like my facebook page wins a dozen cupcakes" not a referral programs based on people who actually become customers. If you weren't talking about a "like my page" promotion...please disregard.

icon_biggrin.gif

MandyCakez Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 12:19pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Since you were already in a food business, these questions may seem redundant, but -

Have you set a dollar limit on that custom cake prize? I'd hate to see someone come along and request a life-sized C3PO or something huge like that. I wouldn't go with a number of servings, because they might want a cake with whipped ganache instead of frosting, which costs a whole lot more.

Suggestion - you might want to add that the winner can apply the dollar equivalent of the prize to a larger cake. Nothing like a big cake at a discount, right?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

I wasn't asking about prices,i was asking about a Facebook question to promote my business.But yes,I have my prices all adjusted accordingly as stated on my price sheet...thanks. icon_wink.gif

MandyCakez Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 12:31pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceofCakeAZ

It's actually against Facebook rules to run any type of contest that requires someone to "like" your page to enter. They are also have lots of other rules.

Here are some details:

http://www.blastmedia.com/blog/2010/08/only-you-can-prevent-illegal-facebook-contests-meet-wildfire-app/

You must use a managed and approved application or you could risk your page being shut down and losing all of your fans/likers.

I personally find "begging for facebook fans" to be tacky (assuming you are talking about referring people just to "like" your page, not to order... I am totally cool with referral incentives to paying customers). Against Facebook rules, many people run something like "have your referral post on the wall who referred them and you will be entered to win a cake", and then when a real potential customer finds your Facebook page, instead of finding something engaging on your wall they see 3 pages of "referred by Karen Wilson""referred by Mike Smith", etc. IMO that looks really tacky. But again, people do it all of the time so many must disagree.

Personally I want facebook fans that want to be fans, not people trying to help a friend win a dozen cupcakes who will unlike my page at the first chance they get because they have no interest or reason to be there. I should also note that we do 90% wedding cakes so my perspective of who I want liking our page is based on that.

Best of luck with whatever you decide but I would recommend using following Facebook rules if you do run a promotion.

Again, most of the above is regarding the recent trend of "whoever refers the most people to like my facebook page wins a dozen cupcakes" not a referral programs based on people who actually become customers. If you weren't talking about a "like my page" promotion...please disregard.

icon_biggrin.gif

I wasn't asking people to like my page.I was seeking local referrals.I would rather have paying 10 customers then 100 people who just "sit" on my page.Thanks for your "concern" though.And wow,if it's against FB rules to run contests then there must be a gazillion fan groups and or business pages shut down on a daily basis as that's all you see lately. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm new to this site....i thought it would be a great place to ask for advice from fellow bakers.However, it seems like everyone is so quick to judge and slam one another(especially if your a newbie) on this board.Something i'd want no part of.Very sad,really. icon_sad.gif

Best of luck with your business.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 1:27pm
post #16 of 20

gosh, I think you might have taken the comments the wrong way. It just looks like they were trying to steer you clear of any potential dangers that you might not have thought of. I am sorry you felt that you were being judged or slammed. Best of luck to you in your business.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 3:16pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMomof6

Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

Have you set a dollar limit on that custom cake prize?

I wasn't asking about prices,i was asking about a Facebook question to promote my business.But yes,I have my prices all adjusted accordingly as stated on my price sheet...thanks. icon_wink.gif

Wow! You really took this the wrong way! They weren't asking if you had a price list for all of your cakes, but simply asked if you had a set dollar limit on that ONE cake prize.

You've been given lots of helpful advice, but you don't seem to want to take any of it because all of your answers are defensive AND sarcastic (Thanks for your "concern" though)... not necessary. This is the business forum... if you ask a business question, you should be receptive to the help that is offered without the attitude.

You weren't being slammed. I'd suggest that you reread the thread, wake up on the right side of the bed, and then participate if you'd still like to be a part of it. (If others are still willing to give helpful FREE advice.)

KimmyKakes4Me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyKakes4Me Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 5:56pm
post #18 of 20

Oh I can make one of those too! icon_rolleyes.gif This is my favorite though: dunce.gif

MandyCakez Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 6:35pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakechick123

those of us thats been here for a while has seen posts like yours and then a couple of days/weeks later the poster commented on how this "winner" now expected a $1000 cake. Thats how I read the pp's comment. Not slamming you, just give some sound advise that you might not have thought about.

My contest rules clearly state that it's a 6 inch custom cake.All i asked was if the thought of a cake contest was tacky.Clearly not a $1,000 cake as stated in the referral contest.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 6 Sep 2010 , 7:49pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMomof6

I wasn't asking people to like my page.I was seeking local referrals.I would rather have paying 10 customers then 100 people who just "sit" on my page.Thanks for your "concern" though.And wow,if it's against FB rules to run contests then there must be a gazillion fan groups and or business pages shut down on a daily basis as that's all you see lately. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm new to this site....i thought it would be a great place to ask for advice from fellow bakers. However, it seems like everyone is so quick to judge and slam one another(especially if your a newbie) on this board.Something i'd want no part of.Very sad,really. icon_sad.gif

Best of luck with your business.

Wow. Just. Wow. A slam? Did you read the post? What part did you view as a slam?

You need to get out of your mind that people are always looking to verbally (or textually) attack you because I clearly said IF... IF .... you know IF, you were talking about a "fan my page contest" then what I said applied... IF NOT then disregard it. Since you were NOT... it didn't apply to you. So how can something that doesn't apply to you be slamming you? "fan my page contests" are very common and since I wasn't 100% clear from the original post as to what type of contest you were going to run, I offered an opinion on one of the most popular contests people run right now.

And while you may not trouble you, some people actually like to know what is allowed and what is not, so I posted the facebook rule info. Just because people do it doesn't mean it's permitted.

You are jumping on every poster that came to offer advice and help you look out for your best interest... yet we are the ones quick to judge and slam one another? Unfreakingreal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%