How Many Of You Don't Ever Eat Cake?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 3 Sep 2010 , 12:50am by KayMc

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 12:09pm
post #31 of 53

Its all about damage limitation, control how much you have.

I taste all my cakes and have lost 23.5 lbs in 15 weeks on the Slimming World plan, so it is doable providing you limit the amount of damage you do.

I go to Slimming World with my mom and 3 friends from work, there is healthy competition between us over who can lose the most weight each week, and who can get slimmer of the week etc That helps me a lot. I don't think I would have lost the weight if I didn't go to the classes.

Hope you can find something to work for you icon_smile.gif

Ps. Well done Deb icon_smile.gif Keep going and we'll get to where we want to be soon icon_smile.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:01pm
post #32 of 53

I have actually put my cake business on hold right now. Not because of the tasting. I actually don't really care for cake and icing. I have learned to trust my cakes and butter cream that I have made so many times. The only thing I actually taste is new recipes now.

I started weight watchers a couple weeks ago and started going to the gym almost daily now. I love it. This is the reason why I put the cake biz on hold. I don't really have time to do it all. Right now for me, my health and family are worth more than any amount of money I'll ever make with my cakes. I still will do them for family and my 2-3 really regular customers, because I do love doing them. I just don't want all my time after my full time job to be focused on cakes anymore.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:23pm
post #33 of 53

It is funny that you posed this question. I used to really like cake but like so many others I find when I work on it it does not appear to be food anymore.. so I don't have the desire. I also have a willing child who will taste test frostings and things since I don't really care for it and am afraid my taste buds are off from inhaling the sugar scent all day lol That sounds crazy I am sure.. but I really feel as though when I do have cake, all I taste is the sugar. When I take cake anywhere when I open the box the air is filled with the sugary smell... tends to ruin an appetite for me

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 5:56pm
post #34 of 53

OK, just to muddy the waters further, why do we feed cake to our kids/families when it has zero nutritional value? But it's not just that: it's not a neutral at zero, it's a negative, as many kids now have weight problems. Isn't this setting our loved ones up for failure by supporting bad habits?

4 yrs ago I followed the South Beach way of eating (lost 69 LB), and frequented a message board for that. People would say they weren't eating the candy/cookies/cakes, but they 'had' to keep them in the house for their kids. This always blows me over: they're too bad for you to eat, but you feed them to children who trust you to provide for them in a proper manner?

I do NOT think the occasional cake/cookie/candy is a problem. But when it's frequent, I know it's a problem for many of us. Thus: my struggle.

KayMc Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 6:19pm
post #35 of 53

Mama Mias,
You make so much sense. And it isn't that I would mind giving up this hobby, as I have two others, but I have spent around $800+ on tools/supplies, and feel like an idiot now. If I sell them, I would only get pennies on the dollar. Plus, I enjoy making/decorating the cakes. icon_confused.gif

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 6:28pm
post #36 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Mama Mias,
You make so much sense. And it isn't that I would mind giving up this hobby, as I have two others, but I have spent around $800+ on tools/supplies, and feel like an idiot now. If I sell them, I would only get pennies on the dollar. Plus, I enjoy making/decorating the cakes. icon_confused.gif

My husband said the same thing.icon_smile.gif I went through and started this biz with insurance, website, etc. But I just felt that I was being pulled into to many directions at the same time and I started not to enjoy caking anymore. , I decided that I will just do a few orders so I can get in my "cake fix". It is going to make it where I can enjoy it again, but have time to work out and get myself healthy. icon_smile.gif

luckylibra Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 6:29pm
post #37 of 53

Wow, Ok .. well I was saying that I let her taste test frostings for me on occasion (about 1/4 teaspoon) and not because I won't eat it because it is bad for me but am willing to let her eat whatever.. I don't care for the taste and she does but otherwise eats very healthy. I have found that to completely prohibit sweets is the wrong approach personally as I have seen what has happened with my nieces and nephew where that is the situation. By having sweets around and teaching that they can be consumed in moderation I believe I have shown a much healthier realistic lifestyle.
Neither one of us is overweight and regular activities (swimming, biking, tennis, hiking) are a part of our daily routine because we enjoy them so it does not feel like punishment or exercise

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 6:55pm
post #38 of 53

I definitely prefer any kind of sweets over cake, I love pie and cookies, so eating cake is kind of a burden. Whenever I stay at a wedding where I made the cake all I can think is "I hope there is something other than cake for dessert"

I've never liked cake that much and being around it so much has made it less desirable.

You should do a taste test if using a new recipe, but I think you can stop yourself from eating cake. Reward yourself with something else, like new shoes.

jamielu23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamielu23 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 7:04pm
post #39 of 53

I dont like cake!!! I gues thats a good thing. icon_smile.gif

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 7:42pm
post #40 of 53

I love cake (especially cupcakes), but I find when I make a cake I usually only want one piece and then I am done. The making of the cake, icing, and filling usually satisfies my sweet tooth in some odd way. I also find I get a lot of satisfaction from the cake-making process and then sharing it with others.

KayMc Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:18pm
post #41 of 53

Oh, Luckylibra, I am so sorry you thought that was directed at you. It honestly wasn't, and I apologize sincerely. Please forgive me for mis-speaking my thoughts. Your post didn't sound like you gave your kid tons of frosting at all! That thought came to my head about kids, and I put it in. Unfortunately it was shortly after your post, so you thought I meant you. No! I agree that you can't deprive kids completely. I certainly didn't when my kids were young. But I also think they shouldn't have free reign for sweets, either. Again, I'm sorry. Please forgive my lack of thought.

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:27pm
post #42 of 53

I rarely eat any of the cakes that I make. But I don't have any problem eating someone else's cake!!!

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:32pm
post #43 of 53

That is so funny! I NEVER eat my cake... not a big cake person! lOl.. i just love making them!

luckylibra Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:43pm
post #44 of 53

KayMc,

I apologize for assuming your intent. Knee jerk reaction I guess, thank you for your reply. Have a wonderful day.

luckylibra Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:44pm
post #45 of 53

KayMc,

I apologize for assuming your intent. Knee jerk reaction I guess, thank you for your reply. Have a wonderful day.

luckylibra Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:46pm
post #46 of 53

KayMc,

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 8:56pm
post #47 of 53

haven't eaten cake in at least a month at someone's party.... so now, after reading this thread.... i want cake. I want cake NOW. I want the biggest, most luscious hunk a cake you ever saw ... so thanks a lot OP for starting me thinking of cake..... Oh, and Congrats IndyDeb - way to go!

KayMc Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:15pm
post #48 of 53

Sorry, Spuddysmom, for starting your craving. I, too, am craving a piece of white,moist cake with buttercream frosting. Damn! I hate having this craving. Better eat dinner quick, to get over the craving.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:30pm
post #49 of 53

I very rarely eat cake. A piece of my own b'day cake, and maybe a small piece at each of my two children's b'day parties, but that's about it. I love to decorate them, but don't care to eat them, like many have responded.

I am careful about what I eat, and what my family eats, and I work out regularly WITHOUT FAIL. I work hard to keep my weight well within a healthy level. My parents/siblings struggle with weight issues, and if I just let myself go, I know I'll be overweight. If I sampled all the cake/icing/fondant I made, I'd be in trouble fo sho!

Someone else posted about not eating sweets but keeping them in the house "for the kids." Nope. I can't be a good example of how to have a healthy lifestyle for my kids if I compromise on big things like that. They don't go without...they do enjoy treats from time to time. But it's a big deal, and they know it. There's not one bag of chips, one bag/box of cookies, one soft drink etc in my house...ever.

My biggest crave is sweet/salty. Put a bag of chocolate covered nuts or pretzels in front of me, and it might just disappear.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:33pm
post #50 of 53

I'll eat anyting BUT red velvet (yuck)

lacklin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacklin Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 9:54pm
post #51 of 53

I think its weird that people who make cakes don't like cake. I'm all for being healthy and not overdoing the sweets but to not like eating ANY cake at all just seems... wrong.

I love cake. I don't eat a piece of every cake I make and I try to limit my sweets but part of the reason I started cake decorating was because I love cake. I want a cake to look awesome but also taste awesome and I think not liking cake at all would make the taste part sort of difficult.

I think you can diet and get healthy and still decorate cakes. I think you can still taste the cakes too, just limit the amounts.

KayMc Posted 2 Sep 2010 , 11:08pm
post #52 of 53

I agree that it does seem strange to do cakes and not ever eat them. I only WISH I was in that group. I work hard to ensure I have cakes and frostings that really taste great. That's very important to me. A beautiful cake that no one likes, makes no sense to me.

Well, I was craving a moist vanilla cake with Sugarshack's bc frosting. We went out for Mexican for dinner tonight, and I had a platter of chicken fajita (filling only - no wrap), and a wonderful margarita..... Cake craving is almost totally gone, now. It better be, with all the calories in the margarita.

KayMc Posted 3 Sep 2010 , 12:50am
post #53 of 53

Nope. I lied. I saw some of the pics here of cakes, and I'm back to craving my deliscious white cake w/ bc frosting. yummmmm.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%