How Do I Make A Monkey?

Decorating By sharon57 Updated 30 Aug 2010 , 11:21am by sharon57

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 29 Aug 2010 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 3

Could someone tell me the easiest way to make a monkey for a cake topper? I want the monkey to sit on top of the cake. And what is the best way to attach the ears and arms so they won't fall off??

2 replies
sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 12:04am
post #2 of 3

How large are you planning on making the monkey?? Are you looking to make a life like replica or something flat (like color flow pattern)?

If you want a monkey about 4" high, life like, you can use a 50/50 blend of fondant & gum paste. Form the body, place it near a dehumidifier (helps to speed up drying). Use a mixture of 1 Tablespoon gum paste with a 1/4 tsp water. This will make a thick "glue" to attach the ears and arms. Place some of the "glue" where you want the arms and ears to go. You can insert thick spaghetti into the ears and arms and insert the spaghetti into the body (to help support them while the "glue" mixture dries). You can use toothpicks instead of spaghetti if you're not worried that someone would try to eat the monkey.

Another method you can try is to make the monkey out of RKTs. You can cover the form with candy clay, let it harden. Attach the ears and arms with melted chocolate.

Another idea: page 107 in the 2010 Wilton Yearbook. They use the Mini Stand-Up Bear Set. Bottom right corner. HTH

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 30 Aug 2010 , 11:21am
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much Sandy, 4 in. is exactly what I want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%